Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader fails to start after Windows 10 update

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Acrobat DC reader working fine with Windows 10.

Two weeks ago Windows 10 did an automatic update which failed (Edge stopped working)

Microsoft did a clean windows update to latest version of Windows 10 V 1709.

Since then Adobe Reader has not worked. Clicking on a pdf document causes nothing to happen.

Clicking on the reader Icon causes nothing to happen.

I have deinstalled and removed the reader and reinstalled.

I still get the same problem, unuseable!

Any ideas (I'm afraid I'm not too technical).

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Hi

I kept having failures originally. In the end I found that uninstalling and then deleting all the contents and the folders worked for me. Once I did that I was able to reinstall. I had problems with the Windows update which had to have a 'clean' install update due to files corrupting on the original automatic update. That is what messed up Acrobat (also messed up Edge and OneDrive amongst other things). I hope that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Garryc,

As Adobe Reader not working after installing Windows 10 update, try following troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue:

1- Reboot the machine if you haven't already and launch Reader again, does that work?

1- If not, run as administrator - steps are given here: Run an Adobe program as administrator | Windows 7, Vista

2- If that doesn't work, run Reader in compatibility mode: locate reader's shortcut > right click > properties> compatibility > Compatibility mode>check the box which says Run this program in compatibility mode for, and select Windows8/7 from the drop down options>Apply>OK.

Let us know the version of Reader you have on the machine: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know how it goes.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem resolved. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work initially. But if I uninstalled and also deleted the folders before reinstalling it again it did?! Thanks for the advise Shivam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're Welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem following 1709 update, and worse, I cannot even uninstall my current Acro Reader installation; error message speaks of missing acroread.msi file. MS support could not help and suggested asking you before rolling back W10. In sum, I cannot uninstall existing nonworking Acro Reader, cannot download and install new, and cannot use. Help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I kept having failures originally. In the end I found that uninstalling and then deleting all the contents and the folders worked for me. Once I did that I was able to reinstall. I had problems with the Windows update which had to have a 'clean' install update due to files corrupting on the original automatic update. That is what messed up Acrobat (also messed up Edge and OneDrive amongst other things). I hope that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
how do you delete your folders without deleting your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines