Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader is *incredibly* slow & keeps hanging

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks,

Does anyone know why Adobe Acrobat Reader is so *incredibly* slow & keeps hanging please?

I keep getting the 'not responding' message; have to close it down & try again.

Documents load *really* slowly, if at all!

I have a fast PC with 16GB of memory, so that shouldn't be the problem...

Any ideas on speeding it up please?

Maybe Adobe you coudl do so?!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

This worked for me perfetly!!! Thank you.

"Go to Preferences > Security, and turn off SafeLogic CryptoComply, and then Preferences > Security (Enhanced), turn off everything"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, it is still hanging and incredibly slow. I am on the verge of cancelling my Adobe PDF Pro subscription and buying a different app, can't be worse than this - literally unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nick29114177yr0j 

Is this Acrobat Pro or freeware Reader? Please share the exact version you are currently running.

Open app>help>about Acrobat 

Run this cleaner tool to remove the existing installer and application’s file traces:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html

Download the Acrobat installer from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html

Download the Acrobat Reader installer from here:

https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Acrobat Pro - Version 2023.001.20093

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 07.35.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cleaner tool and reinstall seems to have resolved the issue, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After AI Assistant deployment, Adobe Reader is taking a very long time to close. Issues are with multiple people or computers. Changing preferences did not help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please try to turn off the protected mode for testing. Go to Preferences (Ctrl,Cmd+K) > Enhanced Security > Uncheck 'Enable protected mode at startup' > click OK and and reboot the computer once.

Note: Please turn on the security after testing to avoid any security risk.

If it still doesn't work,

Would you mind collecting the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html , Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html and share them via any cloud storage. Just upload the log file to the cloud and generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not agree more this is the most pathetic software on the planet. I am going to delete all the programs in my computer and hope for Adobe Reader being ok by itself. Otherwise this is the most disruptive useless program in history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with you. Desktop version is slow and unconvinient.

But android version of acrobat reader is really good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat Reader and the OS you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.06.20360 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the system.

You may also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that makes any difference.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Processor: Intel Pentium CPU G3260 @ 3.30 GHz
Ram: 4GB
64-bit OS, 64x-based processor
Windows 8.1 Pro
Adobe Acrobat Reader 2023.006.20360

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Would you mind collecting the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  , Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html  and Crash/freeze logs https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html  share them via any cloud storage. Just upload the log file to the cloud and generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe used to be good, now they are too comfortable in their monopoly position, hopefully they fall off soon deservedly 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get yourself the latest version of Firefox.  Go to "open file" and open a pdf file.  Voila!  Firefox now has a pdf reader.  It's fast and without all the b.s. overhead that Adobe had built into its reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a way to fix a problem that I had, but I don't know if this will fix the problem of speeding up Adobe Acrobat Reader's ability to function faster in all aspects. I had an issue where Adobe's search function was incredibly slow to find text within a PDF document or multiple documents. I found a way to make regular searching and advanced searching for text in PDF documents faster to the point where the search results are displayed almost instantaneously. Before this fix, searching could take 2 to 3 minutes to find all the strings of text within a folder containing 5 PDF files that were each about 700 pages in size.

Here are the steps to perform the fix:

1.) Open Adobe Reader directly (do not open it by opening a file such as a PDF to open. If Adobe Reader is already open, close it and make sure it is completely closed [not running in the background]).

2.) Go to Edit > Preferences.

3.) Under Categories: click on Documents.

4.) Under the "Open Settings" make sure that the "Restore last view settings when reopening documents" box is unchecked. If it is unchecked, continue to the next step. If it is checked, uncheck it, click the OK button at the bottom, and restart Adobe again directly.

5.) Under Categories: click on Search.

6.) Under the "Fast Find" area, click on the "Purge Cache Contents" button, then make sure the "Enable fast find" box is checked, and lastly, increase the Maximum Cache Size: to at least 1000 MB. (the default size should be 100 MB).

7.) Click the OK button at the bottom, and restart Adobe again directly.

8.) Open all of the documents you want to search text for and type a string of text that will appear somewhere in the document, or documents. (the searching might take 5 to 10 minutes or longer for big documents or when searching a folder with multiple PDFs).

9.) Wait for the searches to complete.

10.) Go back into Edit > Preferences > Under Categories: click on Documents.

11.) Under the "Open Settings" check the "Restore last view settings when reopening documents" box, and click the OK button at the bottom.

12.) Repeat steps 8 and 9.

13.) Restart Adobe again directly.

(note: increasing the Maximum Cache Size from 100 MB might be optional, I am not 100% sure about this.)

I have different versions of Adobe running on different computers including reagular Adobe Acrobat Reader, and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. On all of the versions I have, this fix worked for me. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@N29900526auqn Thanks for sharing your findings with us.

~Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let you know I feel your pain and frustration; the replies here from Adobe remind me why I choose to avoid this program, and when I can't, I pirate it. Forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue, I'm essentially running a super computer and it's still slow and hangs/not responsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have never seen such a stupic PDF reader like Adobe acrobat reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hoping someone comes up with an alternative to Adobe....my files take FOREVER to load (literally hours sometimes) and often I get a NOT RESPONDING message.  The ADOBE SIGN is much more difficult than the older way of gathering signatures.  The "upgrades" have tripled my time to get work done.  I hate it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I just could not believe how slow it is, it was completely unusable until I read this advice.

It is hard to believe that a company like Adobe makes this a default, I had problems with Acrobat for years, I just thought that the software was slow and buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I though i was the only one with this issue but it seems not. i basicly also have a super computer this software fails to even open a one page PDF text document. What a joke adobe has become. Time to switch to open source softwares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What happens when you try to open the PDF? Do you get any error messages? If so, please share the screenshot for more clarity. Also, make sure you have the recent version 23.08.2042X  installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going completely nuts, my whole high end PC is crashing becouse of this f*cking acrobat, i cannot even combine 3 png images to a PDF. what the heck is wrong with this software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that

Is this an issue with a particular file or with all the files? Please try with a different file and check.

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.08.20533 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

Let us know how it goes.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AR super slow... couldn't find the security enhancements recommended to make it do its basic work (read a small PDF)... I'm moving to Foxit reader... it's not my job to make sure Acrobat Reader can read a normal PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines