• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader 64-bit and AcroPDF from 64-bit .NET App

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Reader 64-bit installed. In my .NET applciation I have embedded the AcroPDF control to view PDF files. If I compile my .NET application for 64-bit (Any CPU) the control will  not load the page, and just shows an Initializing bar.  

AcroPDF64WPF.PNG

This is 64-bit Adobe, why does the AcroPDF not support 64-bit? Are there plans to support this is the future? 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sheristeeves 

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described the PDF preview in.Net environment doesn't work.

Would you mind sharing the build version of Win 10 you are using? If it is version 1909, please try to update the Windows to the latest build version (2004, 20H2 or 21H1) as described in the MS help page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/update-windows-10-3c5ae7fc-9fb6-9af1-1984-b5e0412c556a and reboot the computer once and see if that works for you.

Regards

Ria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ria,

I am running Windows 10 Professional 21H1, Os build 19043.1348 and Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0. I just opened this virtual machine, so that covers rebooting.

Running my program as 64-bit I get the same behaviour as before with the "Initializing" progress bar on the screen when I try to load a file, and no file loaded.

When I close my program, the  two Acrobat.exe instances (a parent and a child instance) that were running under it in the Process tree do not close and stay in my process list. If I run again and do not load a file, I get another two rogue instance of Acrobat.exe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit (any version include latest version as of Jan 10, 2022)

Based on our findings a C# or C++ ATL/MFC 64-bit program  when using AcroPDF ActiveX control will hang.   

This issue is that control should be running in-process as is did for Acrobat Reader 32-bit but it actually is running out-of-process.

If you rebuild the projects as 32-bit program it works because in 32-bit world the AcroPDF ActiveX is expected to run out-of-process and in this environment it works correctly.

What we can't figure out is why is it running out-of-process with 64-bit to ActiveX 64-bit?

Is there any way to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit (any version include latest version as of Jan 10, 2022)

Based on our findings a C# or C++ ATL/MFC 64-bit program  when using AcroPDF ActiveX control will hang.   

This issue is that control should be running in-process as is did for Acrobat Reader 32-bit but it actually is running out-of-process.

If you rebuild the projects as 32-bit program it works because in 32-bit world the AcroPDF ActiveX is expected to run out-of-process and in this environment it works correctly.

What we can't figure out is why is it running out-of-process with 64-bit to ActiveX 64-bit?

Is there any way to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Manifest is wrong for 64-bit dll: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-sdk-discussions/wrong-embedded-manifest-in-acropdfimpl64-dll/...

But even with this fix, unlike 32-bit AcroPDF which run in-process, the 64-bit AcroPDF with a 64-bit C++ app is running out-of-process.   Don't understand why this is a happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines