Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader DC: DDE open command

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am creating PDFs in a separate program, which uses a DDE command to automatically open the PDF in Adobe Reader once the PDF is created. This command is not successfully opening the PDF, although manually opening the PDF works fine. I know that similar problems occurred for Acrobat/Reader versions 10 and 11. These problems were fixed by changing the "server" for the DDE command from "acroview" to "acroview{A|R}{Major Version}" where A is used for acrobat, R for reader, and "Major Version" is "10" or "11". What is the syntax that should be used for version DC? I have tried "acroviewRDC" and "acroviewRdc" without success.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 11, 2015 Apr 11, 2015

I think it may be version 15. Or 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try setting the "major version" parameter as "12"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2015 Apr 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it may be version 15. Or 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2015 Apr 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the "major version" to 12 did not work, but setting it to "15" did work. Thus, the correct syntax for the server name for DDE commands is "acroviewR15" for reader DC or "acroviewA15" for acrobat DC.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using WinEdt vs. 9 and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. 

The server name for DDE commands "acroviewA15" worked for me. (Thanks js98368238)

For detailed instructions on making this change within Winedt see: windows - Unable to use pdftex if Adobe is still open - TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use 15 for the version.

This is described in the updated SDK which should be out shortly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not working for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using version 5 of WinEDT and here's what the DDE section of the code looks like:

//  DDEOpen('%$("AcroRead")',"acroview","control",0);

DDEOpen('%$("AcroRd32")',"acroviewR15","control",0);

DDEExe('[FileOpen("%P\%N.pdf")]');

DDEExe('[DocOpen("%P\%N.pdf")]');

DDEExe('[DocOpen("%P\%N.pdf")]');

DDEExe('[FileOpen("%P\%N.pdf")]');

DDEExe('[AppShow()]');

DDEClose;

ProcessMessages;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"AcroviewR15" works for me fine with Adobe Reader DC! But how i can find out, which command i have to use? Until Version XI from Adobe Reader, i could read

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\acrobat\shell\open\ddeexec\application]

from the registry, there was correct "Acroview" for the older Versions and "AcroViewR10" for Reader X and XI. But for Reader DC this Registry Key still contains "AcroViewR10" which does not work anymore. Do I have to try and error? Is there an official way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a utility like DDESpy or Spy++.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bernd

But my problem is not how I (me personally) can find the correct command, but in the runtime environment from our customers. In our software i cannot rely on a third Party tool as DDESpy or Spy++. I have to find out, which version of Adobe Reader the customer has installed and then use the appropriate command.

I did resolve it like this: I read the Registry Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Acrobat\DefaultIcon, when i find the string '2015' in the value from this key, then i can assume that Reader DC is installed, than I use 'AcroViewR15'.

But when a Adobe releases a new Version of Reader DC i have to recode this part, which is not really elegant.

Greets

Sven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your tests you should also consider if the user may have Acrobat and not Reader installed. Test with both "continuous" and "classic" tracks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2018 and I was facing a similar problem. To find out the right command name to use, check (as pointed out in one of the answers) the following registry key:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\acrobat\shell\open\ddeexec\application]

In my case it was "AcroViewA18"

Hope this helps future users!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem in 2019, in particular with TeXNicCenter output profiles. Surprise surprise, I tried "acroviewA19" and it worked perfectly. Infuriating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked in 2020 with  Acrobat Pro DC and AcroViewA20.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, version 2021.011.20039 and AcroViewA21 works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For Acrobat Reader 2020 (not DC) version 2020.005.30314 AcroViewR20 is appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines