Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader DC Won't Save, Forces Save As

Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to add comments to a PDF in Adobe Reader DC. When I go to save it forces me to save as a new document each time. How do I just save the existing PDF?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dtaylorjrmyhst,

There are two possible causes for your problem, and I guess both of them are at play.

1-It happens in a situation when the file is stored on a network or shared volume, which has taken ownership of the file. Is that the situation here?

Or if you opened pdf from an email message. If so, it is possible that the PDF can be stored in a temporary items folder.

If this is the case, and that temporary items folder is read only, then you might face this problem.

2-Reader DC not intended to save files. There’s only one option to bypass that-

The creator of the PDF needs to save the files with an Acrobat Pro version as a “Reader Extended PDF”, to allow users of the Reader application to save their comments and filled out forms.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I figured out the problem. You need to go into security and uncheck

open in protected mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I tried this suggestion but it does not seem to be resolved.

Thanks for trying!

Still looking for ideas.

Louise Gilfedder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Louise,

Sorry for the delay in response to your last message.

As mentioned in 2nd point Adobe Reader not intended to "Save" files The creator of the PDF needs to save the files with an Acrobat Pro version as a “Reader Extended PDF”, to allow users of the Reader application to save their comments and filled out forms.

Have you tried this exactly as its mentioned? As this is the reason behind it and it would only work if the file would be saved as "Reader Extended PDF" using Acrobat Pro. Else there isn't any other workaround for it.

-Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem with my colleagues. Tried the "Reader Extended PDF" option and it didn't work. Help, please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know this post is old now bit did you find a fix to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Edited Response]

Hi NKB

We are sorry for the trouble. As described saving the document takes you to the Save As window

Please try the following preference setting and see if that works for you.

Open the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC and go to Edit (Windows) > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Uncheck  the option 'Enable protected mode at startup' > Click ok and restart the application.

Note: Turning off the security is for testing purpose only, please turn on the security after testing to avoid any security risk.

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal

many thanks for your response.

the exact challenge that i am facing is described here.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/cannot-save-embedded-pdf-file-in-pdf-form-you-cannot-save-the...

really appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Work it out perfectly! Thanks mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines