• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader icon not showing on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and I did a reset to start everything from fresh. I installed the latest version of Adobe Reader DC. After using it once and closing it, the icon no longer appears. I tried uninstalling and installing again, but no icon from the onset.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Try this solution ... it worked for me

Icon Adobe Reader DC on taskbar is wrong - Super User

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi meabletime,

Have you created desktop icon or pinned Adobe Acrobat Reader DC in the taskbar?

Are you able to open Adobe Acrobat Reader DC through Start menu -> All Program?

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can open Adobe Reader from a desktop icon, taskbar, and through the start menu> all apps, but in all instances there is no 'actual' icon but what looks like a placeholder. Please see the image below, the 3 red arrows show what I am talking about.

Thanks for the quick response,

MeableTime

Adobe Reader Icon Problem.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2015 Sep 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... Bug i think!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Aedesh the support guy:  Are you ever going to come back to the thread and help?  This bug was reported nearly a year ago and Adobe support hasn't bothered with it.   Literally everyone on Windows 10 has no proper icon for this app.   Seems like kind of a huge bug to just ignore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just clean installed Windows 10 and latest Windows Update.

I try to install Adobe Reader DC. I have the same problem. uninstall and reinstall many time but doesn't work. please fix this problem.

จับภาพ.PNG

ภาพหน้าจอ-(1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. Adobe Reader DC icon broken on Windows 10 Pro.

The Desktop shortcut icon is showing perfectly but the icon is broken in the start menu.

Very annoying.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

I have the same problem on Windows 10 with the new build of November and with the last Adobe Reader DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this solution ... it worked for me

Icon Adobe Reader DC on taskbar is wrong - Super User

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You legend. That solution worked for me. It had been driving me mad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow... this worked.Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how to fix Taskbar Icons Missing In Windows 10

1- First of all, click on an empty space in the taskbar and from the context menu that appears, click on the Properties option.

2- A new window named Taskbar and Start Menu Properties opens up. Under the tab Taskbar, find and click on the button named Customize as shown in the screenshot.

3- Click on the option entry Notifications and actions from the left pane of the System Settings window. Now in the right window pane, look for a link that says Select which icons appear on the taskbar and click on it.

4- Now a list of icons appears from which you can select from. If you look at the taskbar now, you will now be able to see a nearly empty taskbar which can be customized by following the next step.

5- As next, turn on the toggle buttons corresponding to the icons that you want to see in your taskbar. As you turn on the toggle button corresponding to an icon, it appears instantly in the taskbar.

Link removed by Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brilliant and well stated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.

This is a very annoying bug and present for already one year now. Sure, with jcamargo79 solution the icon can be re-stored but with every Reader update the icon is destroyed again.

Is any update-proof solution available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2016 Oct 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same happens with me

I've always been using Foxit Reader to view PDFs

But if no one's gonna fix it i'll just go back to Foxit

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE FIX THIS BUGacrobat problem.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eddyyang15Nevervana ,

I researched on this issue and found that re-building Icon Cache can fix this issue. Please give it a try.

Rebuild Icon cache in Windows 10

The Icon Cache or IconCache.db is a special database file that Windows utilizes to keep copies of each icon handy. When Windows needs to draw an icon, it uses the copy from the cache instead of retrieving the icon image from the original application file. This helps in making Windows draw the icons faster. Things were different in Windows XP and they are different in Windows 7 / 8. Things changed again Windows 8.1 onwards. In Windows 10, you need to do the following.

If you needed to rebuild the Icon cache in Windows 7 / 8, you needed to do the following: Open File Explorer > Folder Options > Views to show Hidden System Files. Next, go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local folder and delete the hidden IconCache.db file. Reboot. This action would purge and rebuild the icon cache.

But this is not enough in Windows 10 or Windows 8.1. You will have to navigate to the following folder:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

Rebuild Icon cache in Windows 10

Here you will see a lot of files like iconcache_32.db, iconcache_48.db, iconcache_96.db, iconcache_256.db, iconcache_1024.db, iconcache_1280.db, iconcache_1600.db, iconcache_1920.db, iconcache_2560.db, iconcache_exif.db, iconcache_idx.db, iconcache_sr.db, iconcache_wide.dd, iconcache_wide_alternate.db, etc.

Delete them all to purge and rebuild your icon cache in Windows 10. If you were to be able to delete some of theme, you would now be able to see a new folder created named IconcacheToDelete, which will disappear when you reboot your computer or restart Windows File Explorer.

icon-cache

If you find that you are unable to delete these files, do the following.

First, close all open programs. Next, open Task Manager, look for the process Windows Explorer, right-click on it and select End process. Next, from the File menu > select Run new task. Type cmd.exe, check the Create this task with administrative privileges box and press Enter.

run-cmd

This will open an elevated command prompt window.

Now type the following commands one after the other and hit Enter:

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer attrib –h iconcache_*.db del iconcache_*.db start explorer

This will rebuild your icon cache in Windows 10.

Check if it fixes the issue.

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Broken Icon.png

I followed all these steps. At the beginnig I thought the Problem is solved. But when I search for "Adobe Reader DC", the Problem with the broken Icon ist still present. Is ther any definitive solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was so surprised when I found this, found it by myself because I rememebr it from a game.

You have to go to the mother folder where all the app data is located. (For me it's in C:// Program files/Adobe/ whatever program you have the issue with.) Then you have to find the actual app and create a shorcut to the desktop.

Good luck with everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some of this worked; but I am still having the issue with the start menu icon; it looks generic.  If i start the program from there it opens with the correct icon which is saved on the taskbar.  When doing the cache clearing (windows 10) I did not get the predicted delete folder; I got the "you cannot delete these files in use" message; also ending the windows explorer process basically turns off everything and I had to force restart with the laptop button.

The cmd line you gave didn't fly either, and I could not have accessed it after killing windows explorer. The copying of the .exe must have helped a little bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, too. Just be sure you have a shortcut on the desktop before deleting the one in the programs folder.Thanks

nikosg45132923!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one worked for me - the program in Start was pointing to Program Files, when it should have been pointing to Program Files (x86). Worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, because the origional shortcut installed by Adobe Readre DC on my system does not mention either folders.

Adobe RDC Shortcutt.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any definitive solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines