• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader quit unexpectedly

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting this problem with my Adobe Acrobat reader.  I tried to repair and even reinstall but it keeps coming up. Not sure if it has anything to do with recent Windows updates. I am using Windows 10 64bit.

Help! 

<title altered for clarity-kglad>

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Just to chime in (hello everyone by the way!):

I have also been seeing it - Acrobat Reader DC x64 - on two different machines, and along the same timelines as this thread:

1. Personal (home) PC with Windows 10 (home)

2. Old work laptop (Surface) with Windows 10 (corporate)

Two above machines had had all updates/upgrades in place, latest version of Adobe Reader DC x64 installed etc.

Registry trick worked on my work laptop, had not deployed it on home PC as I was awaiting proper fix.

Interestingly,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Hi there,

The new version 23.08.20555 of Acrobat is now available addressing the fix for the issue.

Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you Amal, The AcrobatDCx64Upd2300820555.msp update seems to have fixed the issue.

D. Steele

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 266 Replies 266
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Could you please perform the following workaround which is to set 'bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch' in Registry editor at 'Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\AVGeneral\CrashDataAtLaunch' to 1 and let us know if you're facing this issue again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me understand this fully: You're asking everyine to edit their Windows Registry to deal with this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@G_Man 

if you're not comfortable editing your registry, don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me understand this fully: You're asking everyine to edit their Windows Registry to deal with this issue? 

By @G_Man

At this point I would take this as a trobleshooting step.

If anybody does not feel at ease editing the Windows Registry, by all means DO NOT do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll try this and let you know! Thank's!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Could you please perform the following workaround which is to set 'bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch' in Registry editor at 'Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\AVGeneral\CrashDataAtLaunch' to 1 and let us know if you're facing this issue again?

By @Aakash Deep

In my configuration 'bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch' does not exist at that registry key.

I created a DWORD (32-bit) Value (REG_DWORD) with that name and set it to 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes @FuzzyJohn , this should work.

Let me know in case you have any other queries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, i've create the DWORD (thank to your advice)
Please note my other DWORD value (iCrashCountAtLaunch = 25)

PierreMrsFr_0-1697721345320.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, after about 2 hours of use,  no error message. Will continue to watch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  So far so good.  However, I've had what I thought where fixes in the past and the error comes back later.  fingers crossed again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good to hear about the (tentative) fixes.   be aware that updating reader may require repeating the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news, 1 week since the update, and no more popup ! 
Evrything seems to work normally now.
Acrobat 2023.006.20360

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me. Every time I boot up, I get the popup, plus every time I export a PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@G_Man With Acrobat Reader ? Latest update ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's correct. I'm up to date with Windows and all Adobe CC apps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@G_Man With Acrobat Reader ? Latest update ?

By @PierreMrsFr

I am in the same boat as @G_Man: I got the Adobe Reader DC update to v2023.006.20360 last week but as soon as I undid the registry setting that blocks the error, I started getting the messages again.

@PierreMrsFr: Since you updated and you say you got no error, do you have the registry setting that is supposed to block the error still enabled? I am talking about the 'bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch' which was posted here by someone from Adobe about a week ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FuzzyJohn you're right, I've keep the registry change.
To be honest, I was so exhausted by this popup, whatever the stable solution is, I will be satisfy.
But I can understand that this tips looks to be a tips rather a decent Adobe public solution. I will try whithout the registry key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this hasn't last more then 15' : once I delete the registry key, the popup is back 😢
I'm speechless..😓

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did not edit my registry. The frequency of the popups is the same now as it has been for the past six weeks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the hamburger menu ( 3 lines ) at the upper left corner and choose Disable new Acrobat.

This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many of us, this tips has also worked ... few hours, then the message come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever it's worth, a new update was released today for Adobe Reader DC. Other Adobe Acrobat products may have this update as well.

This update brought the version of my Adobe Reader DC 64-bit to 2023.006.20360.

Immediately after the update I went back into the Registry Editor and set the 'bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch' value to 0 (zero). This is the same as deleting it. So far the "Acrobat quit unexpectedly" message has not shown up.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Here are the details for the 23.006.20360 Optional update, Oct 17, 2023 update or hotfix. Nothing specific about the problem we've been having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately after a computer shutdown and restart the error is back. I got the error after saving a PDF file to which I added a comment and closing Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I will set the 'bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch' value back to 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eureka! It has nothing to do with windows, or even with Adobe. It's your brwoser extension, in my case Chrome with the Acrobat extension. I have just had a corrupted Chrome profiles and had to uninstall and reinstall Chrome and redo each of my many work based profiles. In EACH case on syncing I sopecifically REMOVED the extension. That annoying popup no longer affects me on my main PC. I have not yet reinstalled the extension from scratch. Dare I? My other PC and laptop still have the issue, with the same non corrupted profiles. Remove the Acrobat extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eureka! It has nothing to do with windows, or even with Adobe. It's your brwoser extension, in my case Chrome with the Acrobat extension. I have just had a corrupted Chrome profiles and had to uninstall and reinstall Chrome and redo each of my many work based profiles. In EACH case on syncing I sopecifically REMOVED the extension. That annoying popup no longer affects me on my main PC. I have not yet reinstalled the extension from scratch. Dare I? My other PC and laptop still have the issue, with the same non corrupted profiles. Remove the Acrobat extension.

By @andus.andre

How about those (like me) who are using Microsoft Edge and no Acrobat Extension?

Screenshot 2023-10-22 110230.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines