• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader quit unexpectedly

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting this problem with my Adobe Acrobat reader.  I tried to repair and even reinstall but it keeps coming up. Not sure if it has anything to do with recent Windows updates. I am using Windows 10 64bit.

Help! 

<title altered for clarity-kglad>

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Just to chime in (hello everyone by the way!):

I have also been seeing it - Acrobat Reader DC x64 - on two different machines, and along the same timelines as this thread:

1. Personal (home) PC with Windows 10 (home)

2. Old work laptop (Surface) with Windows 10 (corporate)

Two above machines had had all updates/upgrades in place, latest version of Adobe Reader DC x64 installed etc.

Registry trick worked on my work laptop, had not deployed it on home PC as I was awaiting proper fix.

Interestingly,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Hi there,

The new version 23.08.20555 of Acrobat is now available addressing the fix for the issue.

Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you Amal, The AcrobatDCx64Upd2300820555.msp update seems to have fixed the issue.

D. Steele

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 266 Replies 266
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do use a shared network drive that contain many PDF's and I am sure many stafff leave explorer open to the drive.  We I also leave the thumbnail view to whatever the default is.  Is a network drive something that everyone might have in common?  I know it was mentioned in an earlier comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, not for me. No network drives currently mapped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, same here. Its getting super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to chime in (hello everyone by the way!):

I have also been seeing it - Acrobat Reader DC x64 - on two different machines, and along the same timelines as this thread:

1. Personal (home) PC with Windows 10 (home)

2. Old work laptop (Surface) with Windows 10 (corporate)

Two above machines had had all updates/upgrades in place, latest version of Adobe Reader DC x64 installed etc.

Registry trick worked on my work laptop, had not deployed it on home PC as I was awaiting proper fix.

Interestingly, I have migrated work laptops last week and got a fresh machine (Windows 10 corporate) recently. I did install Acrobat Reader x64 DC as well (using some rather dated installer version from 2021, I believe, and immediately got it updated to Jan release from already-downloaded MSP file) and so far have not seen this annoying message.

Having said that: I only realised yesterday that I had not enabled PDF thumbnail previews in software options - which I have done yesterday.

I will update this thread if I see it but if I don't: there might be a setting / remnant / leftover from past versions of software that produces this error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of late, every time my computer loads or reloads the OS (Windows 10), Adobe Acrobat generates multiple error messages of the "Acrobat quit unexpectedly" variety. Yet, when I open a document in Acrobat, there do not seem to be any problems.

Apart from that, I've just noticed that the preference options in Reader have disappeared, making the program into crippleware not worth using.

It's all very mysterious and annoying.

Update: I deleted Acrobat Reader and replaced it with an alternative free PDF reader, which has preferences I can set and no more annoying error messages. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

The new version 23.08.20555 of Acrobat is now available addressing the fix for the issue.

Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for following this up.

Further to this and to my previous post:

1. I can confirm that I've never witnessed this problem on my new, fresh work laptop - since first week of Feb

2. I can confirm that this problem was still ocurring - seemingly at random - on my home PC up until today's morning

3. I downloaded & updated Acrobat Reader to 23.08.20555 version earlier today - as suggested above - and will report back if I encounter this message again. So far I've not witnessed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal - well this is good news, thank you. 

Can you confirm what problem was please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... Just saw the update available. Had so many hopes. I click Download and Install and this came up next.

FuzzyJohn_0-1709125791367.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that.

Please chek out the troubleshooting steps provided in the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/update-errors-acrobat-reader-windows.html and see fif that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not much troubleshooting that I see at that link, other than "brute force". All my computers have the same problem. I don't think the issue is here.

Also, since my previous post, the error message changed. Now it is:

FuzzyJohn_0-1709266647165.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue you're seeing is not with the behaviour as reported and discussed in this very thread, but with the Adobe Updater & its downloaded files - as indicated on the screenshot you enclosed.

I'd suggest to look for the resiolution in the other threads, for example here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/adobe-acrobat-x-update-error-130200/m-p/8704629

Or manually download the necessary files from here:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousfeb2024qfe....

Separately I can confirm that I've not witnessed this annoying message at all on my home PC since deploying the latest (optional) patches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chill out, guy! I did NOT report the updater issue here. It was a tongue-in-cheek remark to Amal about waiting all this time for the issue discussed here to be fixed, and when it (apparently) got fixed, I can't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chill out dude, that's not helpful. The guy is responsing in line with this thread and it's ASSUMED resolution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since my updater still came back with the same error on all 4 computers, I did a manual update to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and I can now say that the "Adobe Reader Quit Unexpectedly" issue is finally fixed..

In the Windows Registry, the "iCrashCountAtLaunch" value at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\AVGeneral\CrashDataAtLaunch is still at 0 after 2 days. In the past that value increased quite a lot.

Wish I could say it was fun, though. But thanks, Amal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Amal, The AcrobatDCx64Upd2300820555.msp update seems to have fixed the issue.

D. Steele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's GREAT news!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines