• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader quit unexpectedly

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting this problem with my Adobe Acrobat reader.  I tried to repair and even reinstall but it keeps coming up. Not sure if it has anything to do with recent Windows updates. I am using Windows 10 64bit.

Help! 

<title altered for clarity-kglad>

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Just to chime in (hello everyone by the way!):

I have also been seeing it - Acrobat Reader DC x64 - on two different machines, and along the same timelines as this thread:

1. Personal (home) PC with Windows 10 (home)

2. Old work laptop (Surface) with Windows 10 (corporate)

Two above machines had had all updates/upgrades in place, latest version of Adobe Reader DC x64 installed etc.

Registry trick worked on my work laptop, had not deployed it on home PC as I was awaiting proper fix.

Interestingly,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Hi there,

The new version 23.08.20555 of Acrobat is now available addressing the fix for the issue.

Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you Amal, The AcrobatDCx64Upd2300820555.msp update seems to have fixed the issue.

D. Steele

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 266 Replies 266
Contributor ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I'm not the only one with this issue... that's reassuring, but also really disappointing at the same time.

Windows 11, latest updates etc. Think it could be related to the thumbnail preview thing, which I do need enabled.

Come on Adobe, how hard can it be? 

By @slipd

Have you tried the registry edit I posted above? See Re: Acrobat quit unexpectedly - Page 8 - Adobe Community - 14091441.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On it now! Is this a community fix as opposed to an actual vendor fix, put out there by Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On it now! Is this a community fix as opposed to an actual vendor fix, put out there by Adobe?

By @slipd

This originated from @Aakash Deep (from Adobe) in a post back on page 5.

I would not categorize this as "a fix" though. The name of the value (bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch) tells me that it disables this error popup from coming up, instead of fixing the problem that makes the error popup. With that line of reasoning I can think that it might disable other messages. But, hey... I didn't have any other errors with Acrobat Reader besides the one in this thread, so I am glad not to see it.

With every Acrobat Reader update I turn this value OFF and check if the real problem was fixed. If not, I turn it back ON and go on my way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is clearly an Adobe problem!

I have a brand new W.11 laptop and this same error appears from Day 1, even popping up at first start of the machine.

Reader has not even been started, so how on earth can it quit!!!!

It's time Adobe addressed the problem with their product and stopped trying to place the onus on users!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this. Could someone in the US of A perhaps ring Adobe and wake them up please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again on this thread, to report bugs or ideas or wishes to adobe: for applicable apps, use https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

for createive cloud assets:

bugs, https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-collaboration-experiences/ct-p/ct-adobe-collaboration-experienc...

requests, https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-collaboration-experiences/ct-p/ct-adobe-collaboration-experienc...

for others, use https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

if neither show a place to report the issue, just leave it here. that's the best you can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is clearly an Adobe problem!

I have a brand new W.11 laptop and this same error appears from Day 1, even popping up at first start of the machine.

Reader has not even been started, so how on earth can it quit!!!!

It's time Adobe addressed the problem with their product and stopped trying to place the onus on users!

By @SergeiKat

Have you tried the registry edit I posted above? See Re: Acrobat quit unexpectedly - Page 8 - Adobe Community - 14091441.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all - the 'unexpectantly quit pop-up' growing collection was driving me insane; further to trying all the adobe suggested nonscence I found reference to the issue on a google forum; removing a second language preference from windows   settings/   time & language/   preferred languages   stopped the pop-ups for me; i.e. having only one preferred language;  the language I have preferred is  English (United Kingdom); I'm in the UK - maybe it's a brexit thing - sigh   -  a t b 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Acrobat Reader DC update (v2023.008.20421). Problem still there.

The first error message showed up about 8 hours after doing the update. Gave me hopes for a while.

Re-enabling the registry edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been more than 3 months is there still no "Real" fix for this outside of the one on page 1 with regedit? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Acrobat Reader DC update (v2023.008.20458), same problem.

I updated last night. After the update I turned off the bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch registry value then shut down my computer.

This morning I turned the computer on and after a couple of minutes the now familiar "Acrobat quit unexpectedly" message popped up.

Turning bDisableSuggestWorkaroundsAtLaunch back on. I guess this one slipped thru Adobe's fingers or they gave up on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Slipped through their fingers"? Good one. They just don't give a rat's behind, that's all.

Issues with Acrobat are legion, and they typically go unfixed for years. A lot of them seem to be related to Protected Mode operation, and can be fixed by not using it. However, that as security implications one may or may not want to accept, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just a reminder, this is the reader forum, not an acrobat forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes no difference. These issue reside at a level where the two are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what issue are you talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just a reminder, this is the reader forum, not an acrobat forum.

By @kglad

FYI...

FuzzyJohn_0-1705073560911.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?

By @kglad

You said several times that "..... this is the reader forum, not an acrobat forum".

Reader is part of the Acrobat family. The clip I posted is from the download page for Adobe ACROBAT Reader at adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh

the acrobat reader forum is for reader, not acrobat pro issues.

the acrobat pro forum is for acrobat pro, not reader issues.

i 100% recognize that the adobe forums are confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New update released (2023.008.20470), still no fix for this problem.

Looks like the Registry edit is becoming permanent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FuzzyJohn,

We are sorry about the trouble.

As the issue is still occurring with the latest version, could you please share the logs for the latest version? Use the steps suggested in the following help document: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html

We will share them with the team for further investigation.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Our engineering team requires some more information, could you please share the value of GUID present at 'Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\CommonFiles\CRLog' in the Registry Editor?

Here's the sample for that.

Amal_0-1706261310612.png

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal,

Here is what I have at that registry key:

FuzzyJohn_1-1706279054919.png

From what I can tell, the GUID I have is useless: I cannot find it anywhere else in the Windows Registry.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Thanks for sharing the details, please give us some time to get it reviewed.

We will share the update soon

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same is happening to several work PC's with WIndows 10 and 11 and Acrobat Reader.  Im just going to do the reg work around for now because using the uninstaller tool and reinstalling has not fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines