• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader slow and unusable for normal usage

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, for the last 2 weeks on the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (normal, free version) I have been unable to open files or do anything with them in the application. First it started being a problem with printing (Canon MF printer) in that whenever I wanted to print it would take a very long time for the dialog box to open and then long again to carry out a print. It then progressed in to a problem using the app at all to the point I can't click on anything without it saying "not responding" in Windows (10). 

It's now so bad that I've tried everything to get it to work that I can think of - I've repaired the installation, I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I've tried uninstalling and installing from Windows Store as well as the download on the adobe website. I've even tried to clean the installation completely using the AcroCleaner to see if there was a corrupt file or something, and nothing. Every time I reinstall and get the same result. 

PDFs open fine in the Chrome extension and even "quick printing" works via outlook/explorer but anything that requires using the application directly results in crashing. 

HELP, please!!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

As described the application is slow and crashes upon opening and you have tried a couple of troubleshooting steps with the same result.

Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.1.20169. Go to help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also, try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows and try using the application there and check.

Web browsers use their own PDF mechanism to render and display the PDF file and they are not Adobe Dependant.

Please try to turn off the protected mode for testing and see if that works. Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Uncheck 'Enable Protected mode at start up' Turn Off the protected mode and uncheck enhanced security > click OK and reboot the computer once.

Note: Please turn on the security after testing to avoid any security risk.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal, thanks for your response.  I've had to uninstall Adobe Reader. I was using the latest version downloaded this week from the website and then from Windows store. I can't even access menus to try and get version info when it was installed. I tried to get a report sent to email but it wouldn't complete the process. Everything just makes the software sort of 'flash' or judder. I tried getting on the preferences menu having seen that advice before but I couldn't complete the change to protected mode.  I will try and install again and access from a different user profile. 

When I said I could access on the browser, I was referring to the Adobe Chrome browser plugin.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You may try to redownload the Acrobat Reader DC application using the direct link https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ and see if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal. 

I've tried another windows user but unfortunately once I click Yes to add as default PDF viewer, it loads up a screen probably introductory screen or something, which just gets stuck in a loading cycle, with the circle turning. Nothing ever happens (after 10 mins still). I will respond to your PM and hopefully you can help me resolve the issue. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have sent you a PM please check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris

Please collect the Adobe cc logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html and procmon logs https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html and share them via document cloud link as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html for further investigation 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Amal, Unfortunately I'm unable to send via document cloud as I don't have an upgraded account to send the log file types. I've instead uploaded via wetransfer.

Adobe logs: https://we.tl/t-YqKrTv9LEB

procmon logs: https://we.tl/t-396AvI8O5B 

Unfortunately procmon application is suffering the same problem as the reader app, so I don't know if they will be successful. The process of downloading procmon within Acro Monitor only begins when Adobe Reader opens. Then I get a prompt to download the application to which I agree, the admin privelleges window opens (slowly) and I agree this, and then something tries to open but the window only shows a black background and some icons at the top of the window. It then says on the monitor dialogue window  that it has failed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines