• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe reader - This signature is invalid because there are errors in the formatting

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like with the new update to Adobe Reader we are having issues with "signatures" 

When we received a signed PDF,  it shows: "Signed by Unknown" and then the reason is: This signature is invalid because there are errors in the formatting or information contained in this signature"

Can you please advise how to solve this?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience.

Adobe released an update to Adobe Acrobat Reader that addresses an incorrect error message associated with a valid digital signature. 

Please ensure that you update the application to the latest version. In the application, go to Help > Check for updates.

You may also download the latest patch from here: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousfeb2021qfe2.html#dccontinuousfebtwentytwentyoneqfe2 

For more in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry to hear that you are experiencing the issue.

Could you please confirm if the issue occurs with some particular PDFs?

Would you mind sharing any sample PDF with us so we can check it on our end?

Please share the Acrobat Reader DC and OS version you are using on the machine.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for getting back to me. 

We are running WIndows 10 OS and the newest version of Adobe reader DC - 2021.001.20135. 

If i instal older version of DC I dont have the same issue.

I dont think I can share the PDF itself, but the PDF is signed with Docusign.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards

Eva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i and multiple users are experiencing this since the last security update.  this is only effecting Acrobat Reader.  when a document signed with doccusign is opened in reader it displays signature is invalid.  

when you go to the signature panel it shows

"there are errors in the formatting or information contained in this signature"

THIS ONLY EFFECTS READER,  if the same document is opened in Acrobat Pro then the signature validates fine!

ADOBE PLEASE FIX THIS,  i can confirm that versions prior to the latest release of Reader do not have this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience.

Adobe released an update to Adobe Acrobat Reader that addresses an incorrect error message associated with a valid digital signature. 

Please ensure that you update the application to the latest version. In the application, go to Help > Check for updates.

You may also download the latest patch from here: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousfeb2021qfe2... 

For more information on updates, please refer to this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same issue for a document. Installing the patch has not helped. Can you tell me why this issue happens in the first place? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, 

This problem happens a gain with Adobe Reader 21.005.20060.

Please find the pdf file at https://doclinks.blob.core.windows.net/mediatest0303430876/SRC/pbs.BO.LA.NA_2021_08_29_182033_signed...

Testing Certificate for signing: https://doclinks.blob.core.windows.net/mediatest0303430876/SRC/Richard%20Hendricks___richard@spc-tec...

Regards, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines