Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader x64 2023.008.20421 Crashes when entering form data

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader 2023.008.20421 64-bit on Windows 10 Pro

I have removed and re-installed.  Also rebooted.

Multiple users

Multiple workstations

Multiple documents

But not every user or document

Open a form document that we've used for years, click field to enter data and it crashes.  Event Viewer details below:

Faulting application name: AcroRd32.exe, version: 23.8.20421.0, time stamp: 0x65738350
Faulting module name: AcroRd32.dll, version: 23.8.20421.0, time stamp: 0x6573834c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00d28d0c
Faulting process id: 0x44e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01da400e9680e8da
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.dll
Report Id: 93ba94c2-790b-454f-9436-b0613558c3a7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , PDF forms , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

I have the same issue here and can replicate across multiple computers. 

The tip about waiting for the "Start your free trial advert", that a few people have posted works.

What I have been telling my users is to open files by performing 
Menu > Open...
This provides the application enough time to present us with the opportunity to see the advert and avoid the issue. 

I also recommend for them to keep the application open if they want to open files using shortcuts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem.

Windows 10 Pro, 32GB memory, 1TB SSD

Acrobat Reader 2023.008.20458

Crash happens as soon as I click on a form field to enter data. If I wait for a few seconds after Reader starts (until the 7-day free trial ad for Acrobat pops up at the bottom left) before I click, then it appears there is no issue. All seems to work fine.

Also there is no issue with filling the forms using Firefox or Edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bare bones file demonstrating the issue is attached. Clicking on the editable field right after the page is displayed results in a crash. If you wait a few seconds (use the 7-day trial Acrobat ad at bottom left as a marker), there is no crash and the field is editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue reported here - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/acrobat-reader-crashes-when-editing-fields... - by someone else contains more detail for reproduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER DISCUSSIONS]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue.  Definately caused by an the update.  Found a computer without the update and it worked fine but auto updated a few minutes after and the issue started happening.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running into the same exact issue here with one of our clients - I've been able to narrow it down the file only crashes within the first 5-10 seconds before the "7-day free trial" appears - once that shows up, the file is editable without any issues

Adobe help us out with the fix please and thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem within our organisation with the latest update I saw being January 5th on one computer. Has the issue been reported to Adobe Support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to upchannel it to support and they want me to send them logs.  I was frustrated and told them to let their developers know.  Support claimed they tested it and it worked fine on their system but I have doubts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue with multiple staff, but not everyone even though everyone was updated/patched.  In 1 case, the problem cleared itself for 2 days then returned.  Out of 15 staff, only 2 reporting the issue currently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This continues to be an issue.  I really am at a loss.  So far nothing resolves the issue.  It's extremely frustrating because these forms are a daily requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping the more people that generate noise here the better and maybe someone at Adobe will hear us.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue here and can replicate across multiple computers. 

The tip about waiting for the "Start your free trial advert", that a few people have posted works.

What I have been telling my users is to open files by performing 
Menu > Open...
This provides the application enough time to present us with the opportunity to see the advert and avoid the issue. 

I also recommend for them to keep the application open if they want to open files using shortcuts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a work around but how do we get Adobe to acknowledge the problem and plan a fix?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! Their known issues page doesn't seem to reflect this. This is a bug that is easilly replicated for me, so I would assume that others can as well at Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked with Adobe support earlier today in an effort to put the issue on their radar. The tech I worked with seemed to think that it was related to a similar bug in the 64-Bit Pro version that will crash in other scenarios. 

Another workaround that I found while working with that tech was to perform the following: 

Menu > Disable New Acrobat 

I have tested and was unable to crash adobe before the Free Trial Advert loads.

This still isn't a fix, but another easier to explain workaround for your users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I fixed another problem with the same procedure "Disable New Acrobat". For me, Adobe Acrobat Reader always crashed after opening and closing a file. The support team didn't want to help me and referred me to the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good work around for now tell Adobe fixes the issues is to change to the old layout.

Menu > Disable New Acrobat Reader. 

It'll restart but now you can open fillable PDF's and DO NONT have to wait for anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue here,

another Workaround is to enter the first formula field with the TAB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines