• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader XI Version 11.0.23

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer this edition of the Reader and do not care for the new reader at all.  While this version works just fine, the only way I can open the reader is to do so as the administrator.  How do I change the settings so that I can simply click the icon and open the program? 

Email address removed by moderator

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

I wonder if this is renet55630735's deep, dark secret: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2525441

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a compatibility or installation issue, not a setting. If you are running Windows XP, version 11.0.08 was the last to support your operating system. For newer Windows versions, my only suggestion is to remove all traces with AcroCleaner and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I am running Windows 10.

And, if I should decide to uninstall and reinstall, I do not know exactly how I could get this version back again.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c135631  wrote

I am running Windows 10. And, if I should decide to uninstall and reinstall, I do not know exactly how I could get this version back again.

The last installer issued by Adobe was 11.0.10: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.10/

That version predates Windows 10 support (go figure), so after installation you should immediately apply the 11.0.23 patch: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.23/misc/

Or you could ask the person who installed it in the first place to assist you.

Like you, I do not care for Acrobat Reader DC at all; but unlike you, I do not care for Windows 10 either. Those massive Windows 10 updates may indeed have broken your installation (I wonder if you could use Reader XI with a standard account when it was first installed), or may even have broken compatibility by now (11.0.23 was released last November). You may have no choice other than use Reader XI as administrator or else downgrade to Acrobat Reader DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not always the brightest monkey in the meadow.  That said, I have downloaded the suggested AcroCleaner but I find the instructions confusing.  If I run the program based on my comprehension of the instructions, I will be removing Version 11.0.23 of the reader and I am not confident that I could reinstall that version should I uninstall it. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't want to reinstall it. It is unsupported and unsecure. They do not patch it anymore. Also, I doubt it was ever really intended for the Win 10 system so it may be buggy and if it isn't now, one Windows update could make it that way. Again, no patches anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti  wrote

I doubt it was ever really intended for the Win 10 system so it may be buggy and if it isn't now, one Windows update could make it that way.

Support for Windows 10 began with version 11.0.12 (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/index.html#x), but you make a good point about Windows updates possibly breaking it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abzyx  wrote

Support for Windows 10 began with version 11.0.12 (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/index.html#x), but you make a good point about Windows updates possibly breaking it.

Thanks. It's old enough that my brain isn't supporting it these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder if this is renet55630735's deep, dark secret: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2525441

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can go into detail why you need admin permissions, its obviously a permissions issue. But what the other guys are telling you, do not use this version anymore. Its unsupported and unsafe. Or use the latest DC version, or don't install reader at all. In w10, there are already default pdf-reader programs (like Edge)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

renet55630735  wrote

I can go into detail why you need admin permissions, its obviously a permissions issue. But what the other guys are telling you, do not use this version anymore. Its unsupported and unsafe. Or use the latest DC version, or don't install reader at all. In w10, there are already default pdf-reader programs (like Edge)

Nobody is telling c135631 to use Adobe Reader XI: The original post makes clear that Reader XI is the product that c135631 prefers. If you can answer the original question so that c135631 doesn't have to use Reader as administrator, then by all means do so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines