• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe ReaderX can not open sharing files on Server

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As my title described, I installed ReaderX successfully, can open local pdf files on my computer ,but when I access files on share server, a popup message shows "There was error opening this files. Access dnied." Surely I have rights accessing those files.

Anybody can help me? Thanks .

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

I have the same problem. It's apparently a result of the new Protected Mode. Disabling it via Edit--> Preferences-->

"Enable Protected Mode at startup" is a workaround and will allow PDFs to be opened from network shares. Of course that defeats the entire purpose of Adobe's sandbox architecture in X. For now though I don't see an option.

You can disable this through the registry via HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10\Priviledged\ by setting bProtectedMode to decimal 0. This can be done through

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried heck I even wiped a computer and installed a thrid party PDF reader and the same issues are there.  Only work around I have found is to move all user files to the local drive and everything works.

Any more ideas would be apprectiated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you're having the same issue. This discussion is (mainly) about not being able to open PDF files from DFS file shares because of the protected mode in Adobe Reader X. Disabling protected mode allows the files to be opened and can be done from the Adobe Reader menu or via a registry patch.

We didn't have protected mode at all before version X so it's hard to know what security implications, if any, there are, apart from the loss of this new security feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Axisfirst,

Your issue seems to be different than being discussed in this thread. Can you please start a new thread with details of your environment setup like

Platform,

Antivirus/Firewall installed on your system,

File system of the machine where pdfs are shared

Any folder redirection.

If possible, please provide a screenshot of the error you get.

Thanks,

Arun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix yet for this other than turning off Protected Mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

We have a samba domain and WinXp Pro SP3 clients. Every user uses one or more mapped network drives. When the Protected Mode is activated, no one can access pdf-files from his mapped network device. We tried to use the privileged locations (\\servername\networkDeviceName\) but this does not work. It only works with local pdf-files or when the protected mode is disabled - but thats not a solution... its only a 'hack'.

Is there a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please let us know the server being used by you. Is the server and the client machines are part of DFS(Distributed file systems) or is it just a normal share on any server?

DFS is a known issue and Adobe is working on it.

If the file system used is not DFS, please let me know if any other special file system is being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using Microsoft's DFS. One of the servers is 2008 R2 the other is 2003 SP2. NTFRS does the replication. The shares are published as \\<domain>\shares\<folder>. Clients are running XP SP3 and connect using the net use command in a logon batch file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following log entries appear repeatedly on my Primary Domain Controller/File Server during the period between the time I installed Adobe X and when I turned off the Protected mode.

An account failed to log on.

Subject:
Security ID: S-1-0-0
Account Name: -
Account Domain: -
Logon ID: 0x0

Logon Type: 3

Account For Which Logon Failed:
Security ID: S-1-0-0
Account Name:
Account Domain:

Failure Information:
Failure Reason: An Error occured during Logon.
Sub Status: 0xc0000133

Process Information:
Caller Process ID: 0x0
Caller Process Name: -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

we are running Samba 3.0.24 as domain controller, which is not part of a DFS or uses DFS features. When opening a .pdf file from a WinXP SP3 client, which is part of the domain we see the following in the samba log:

[2010/12/07 18:29:50, 2] lib/access.c:check_access(323)
   Allowed connection from  (x.x.x.x)
[2010/12/07 18:29:50, 2] smbd/reply.c:reply_tcon_and_X(711)
   Serving IPC$ as a Dfs root
[2010/12/07 18:29:51, 2] smbd/open.c:open_file(352)
   user opened file batch.pdf read=No write=No (numopen=1)
[2010/12/07 18:29:51, 2] smbd/close.c:close_normal_file(344)
   user closed file batch.pdf (numopen=0)
[2010/12/07 18:29:51, 2] smbd/open.c:open_file(352)
   user opened file batch.pdf read=Yes write=No (numopen=1)

The user has full permission to the share.

The server system is linux with ext3.

Ciao!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

we have found a solution for our problem opening .pdf files from mapped network devices on a samba server using Acrobat Reader X.

You have to set "msdfs root = no" in "/etc/samba./smb.conf". In some Samba versions msdfs root is set as default even though you do not use dfs.

Protected mode from Acrobat Reader X does not need to be turned off now.

Maybe this helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that Adobe had been looking into getting a fix for the problems opening documents from DFS shares. Have any fixes/updates been released for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2011 Jan 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also looking for a fix for this issue, and I'm not sure how this thread can be marked as "Answered" when a fix hasn't been released yet.  We're in a Windows environment with DFS and I have half my staff running version X and having the same errors mentioned above with opening and printing PDF files.  Of course they are all over my case because they can't do what they need to do.  I'm hoping for a fix soon so I don't have to downgrade them to version 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2011 Jan 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, XP clients cannot open PDF files on DFS shares from Windows 2003 R2 servers. My Windows 7 PC is the only one that can.

Apparently not a bug but an unsupported configuration:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2011 Jan 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ipqman, it is a bug AND an unsupported configuration; once the next version comes out, it will be fully supported again. That's the way Adobe documents things, anyway (unlike companies that separate "will never be supported" and "known bugs"). I wish I could have tested the fix, but my email provider kept stripping the attachment as a virus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't seem to be having any problems opening PDF's on a network share. My problem is that after upgrading to Reader X, I am having an issue where PDF files that are located in the Public Folders are very slow opening. Even a 1 page PDF can take several minutes opening. I disabled "Enable Protected Mode at Startup" and the PDF opens like normal. Using Windows XP SP3 with Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2003 SP2 on a Windows 2003 R2 server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2011 Jan 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We installed Adobe X upon its release and until 1/25/11 everything was working fine.  Now not only can we not access PDF files on DFS folders but now we are having issues accessing Excel, Word and nearly every file that has been created after 1/11/11 we can create and save, then upon accessing the file again we are unable to gain access.  Once again this includes Excel and word docs.  Help!  Our network is toast!  I have tried wipping a workstation and installing another reader, now all of the sudden we are back to square one, with even the Excel files.

I should also point out that not every user is being impacted by this to include one that is still using Adobe X.  I have logged in as System Admin and still no help.

We have also now had an excel program shortcut give the the blue screen of death on two different workstations, once the shortcut was deleted in safe mode, the computer is functional just not with DFS files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2011 Jan 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure of how to advise you to proceed. I simply went to EDIT PREFERENCES and on the GENERAL category, there is an option to enable "Enable Protected Mode at Startup" I removed the checkmark as previous posters suggested and this allowed my PDF's to open from the Exchange Public Folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, the new update (10.0.1) seems to have fixed the issue with opening PDFs on DFS shares on Windows XP systems with Protected Mode enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 10.0.1 msp fixes the issue for DFS paths, but does not seem to fix the issue with mapped drives.  Does anyone know of a fix for mapped drives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?

Hi All,

We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.

To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.

We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.

Thanks and regards,

Adobe Prerelease Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?

Hi All,

We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.

To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.

We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.

Thanks and regards,
Adobe Prerelease Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like this link is no longer available.  Does that mean I missed the

opportunity to test the latest build?

Thanks,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wanted to report that the access denied error still occurs with Acrobat 10.0.1 on Windows XP with SP3 when accessing a PDF through a mapped drive letter to a DFS share. Remapping the drive letter to a file server directly instead of using a DFS path avoids the problem, but then we can't use DFS.

Thanks,

Tim Miller Dyck

PeaceWorks Computer Consulting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen problem where opening files on a samba share may take 2

or 3 minutes - solution - downgrade to Adobe 7 reader - comes up immediately - this is over a remote vpn to samba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines