Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

an error occurred while sending mail

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I get an issue when I press button "Send file as email attachment". An error says  "an error occurred while sending mail".

I want to attach into Outlook. Unfortunately, I have not found a solution on the Internet.

I tried:

1.Checked if outlook is setted as default email. Yes, it is setted.

2.Checked it if is true ( checked in regedit )

3.Checked if the file is not so big(size).

4.Un-ticked the check-box "Enable Enhanced Security" . Still didnt help

5.Checked if in preferences>Email account outlook is setted as default. It is.

I use outlook 2016.

Versions of my Adobe is 11.0.22

Please, really need your help. Trying to find a solution about 1 week.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Hi all,

For the benefit of future visitors, if anyone is experiencing this issue, you may try to use the classic workflow of sending PDF as an attachment: How to use the email icon to directly send file as attachment to get the job done. While we discuss the symptoms of the issue with the other method.

Feel free to update the discussion if you have further questions.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still need help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

answer please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem on win 10, the computer is brand new, only installed Outlook and Adobe Reader and it still dosen't work. Reinstalled the computer again just to try it, still same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Prinsipp,

As you have mentioned above "Send as an attachment" option does not work for you in Adobe Reader.

Could you please let us know what exactly happens when you try to use the option?

What is the exact error message you get? Please share the screenshot of the message.

To share the screenshot, click on Insert image icon as shown below:

Capture screenshot.PNG

Then click on "Choose File" and browse to the location where you have saved the screenshot.

Select the image file and click on "Open". Then click on "Insert Image" tab at the bottom to add it to forum reply.

Please share the Adobe Reader version you are using. Take help of the steps mentioned here Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

What is the Outlook version?

Did you check if you can send emails from outlook without any issues?

We will be waiting for your response.

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should not be marked assumed answered.

Same problem, upgraded several of my users to Acrobat Pro DC today, we had the issue with the redirected with Reader DC and added the registry dword to fix it.

With Acrobat Pro the new share feature is nice, but when selecting Send As Attachment getting this error.Email Error.jpg

Windows 10. Pro Version 1809

1. Restarted Computer,
  2. Uninstalled Reader DC - restarted PC.
  3. Checked Outlook 365 is default, in Registry and in Settings. Outlook Version: 1811 (Build11029.20079 Click to Run).
  4. Disabled Enhanced Security and Enabled Enhanced Security - not working for either.
  5. Tested with another User Profile and on another Computer - Windows 10 -1803 - same Outlook version - same error.

One user reported new install worked, but the PDF was showing as "Windows" in the attachment and the subject was the name of the PDF file.  Checked and they hadn't signed in - once they had signed into Adobe, the pdf attached correctly.  Same Outlook version.

Any other recommendations? Not too thrilled at making this purchase for our Team at this moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a long standing bug that randomly marks assumed answered... reported to Jive many times, still not fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For the benefit of future visitors, if anyone is experiencing this issue, you may try to use the classic workflow of sending PDF as an attachment: How to use the email icon to directly send file as attachment to get the job done. While we discuss the symptoms of the issue with the other method.

Feel free to update the discussion if you have further questions.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just got this error with one user. Did the registry edit - no change, same error. (Email button action works but errors out) Laterst version of DC. Outlook 2016. PC restarted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing this problem.  No one can send from Adobe and have to save and close the file, go to Outlook and then attach the file.  Not a satisfactory resolution but it does work.  Error is "An error occurred while sending mail."  - same as everyone else in this thread.  I have tried removing enhanced security.  No difference.  Any help is appreciated please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION FOUND for our office.  We rolled back to 2019.012.20036 and emailing from Acrobat Pro DC now works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling back is not an option for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We used to be able to do this, so I think users have grown accustomed to sending from inside the PDF created.  Yes, we can attach the file, but why are we not able to skip that extra step and send from within the document...when it was a function before? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was facing the very same problem with Reader DC on PC with WIN10 but with the eM Client. The local email client was properly registered. I was almost desperate - no measure took any effect. It was weird even more because another user of the very same PC did not have this problem. One thread elsewhere describes the same problem and the solution was in reinstalling the user account. So I add my gmail account in the Windows settings: "Windows Settings > Accounts > E-mail and accounts > Accounts used by e-mail, calendar and contacs". I added the g-mail account and now it works. Hopefully this will help you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, tried that. Doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using a 64-bit version of Office, please try a 32-bit version instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our whole company is on Office 365. The benefits of staying in Office 365 outweigh the email issue.

We've been in Office 365 for almost a year now. The error issue appeared 2 months ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I fixed this issue by uninstalling the 64-bit version of Microsoft Office and installing the 32-bit version.

It was only when I stumbled on a slightly different MAPI related issue in another application that I discovered this.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon,

Thank you for this. solved my issue as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

fix office 2019  x64:

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook" /v Bitness /t REG_SZ /d x64 /f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently came across this same problem but found the cause and solution to be different than what's been previously provided. If you've tried everything else, it may be worth exploring.

In my case, Adobe Reader was unable to locate the path to Outlook due to a missing registry key/value. You can enter the following reg query into an elevated command prompt to see if it returns the correct path for Outlook.

REG QUERY "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\outlook.exe"

Which should Return the following results: (path is dependent on your Outlook/Office version)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\outlook.exe
(Default) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\

If these are missing or incorrect, you can update them from the command prompt. Make sure to update the path to your version of Outlook.

REG ADD "HKLM\\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\outlook.exe" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\outlook.exe" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\outlook.exe" /v Path /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\"

I discovered the solution by using Process Monitor and wrote a short blog post about it, https://www.mattlucas.net/fix-adobe-reader-an-error-occurred-while-sending-mail/. Process Monitor is a free tool from Microsoft/Windows Sysinternals and may help you solve your specific issue if none of these solutions work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Matt, this worked! In short

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\outlook.exe in your registry, make sure you have the following two strings defined to match the folder location on your machine. Restart Adobe. 

(Default) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\outlook.exe 
Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tool was no longer functional on our newly imaged AutoPilot devices. Adding these registry keys fixed the problem. Thank you!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix worked for me.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines