Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

An internal error occurred

Feb 09, 2011 Feb 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the error message on Reader x and Acrobat X "An internal error occurred" and displays a blank page when trying to open a pdf file that is pasword proptected.

It appears that it has opened the document when I check the secuity properties, only Securty is set to Aloowed all the rest are set to Not Allowed.

I tried printing the document and Reader crashes with "Adobe Reader has stopped working".

It works on 9.4.2 (Reader and Acrobat)  and opens and displays the document correctly.

Adobe have cocked-up 10. Unusual for Adobe, but sadly, true. I am going back to 9.4.2.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2011 Feb 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which one is the owner to open a pdf file Acrobat X or Reader X? You can check this by double clicking any pdf file and whichever application launches pdf file (Acrobat X or Reader X). If it gets launch in Reader X then try once in sandboxing mode off and then try launching this pdf.

For disable sandbox mode off follow these steps

1. Launch Reader X

2. Go to Edit option -> Preferences-> General

3. There is an option Enable protected mode at start up (Highlighted in the image below)

4. Uncheck the checkbox and quit reader

5. Then try launching your pdf file

prefrences.JPG

Are you facing this error with all pdf files or this specific file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Inayal,

I've installed Reader 9.4.2 and made it my default reader device to get around the problem.

It is with Acrobat X that I have the problem.

The problem is with all protected PDF files. Unprotected files work fine. Unfortunately, the protected files are usually business related, invoices, quotes, etc.

What do I change in Acrobat X to make it work?

I will try what you suggested for Reader X.

Many thanks

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get that error when you launch the protected pdf in Acrobat X? Can you try repair for Acrobat X?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Inayal,

I get it opening Acrobat X and have tried a repair for Acrobat X. Still does not work. I have a friend who experiencing the exact same problem.

If you want, I can send you an example.

Thanks

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Inayal! Your instructions to uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup". I can print the PDF file in Reader X now without any trouble. Problem solved for me. Thanks!

1. Feb 11, 2011 4:19 AM (in response to jtsfoto)

Re: An internal error occurred  

Which one is the owner to open a pdf file Acrobat X or Reader X? You can check this by double clicking any pdf file and whichever application launches pdf file (Acrobat X or Reader X). If it gets launch in Reader X then try once in sandboxing mode off and then try launching this pdf.

For disable sandbox mode off follow these steps

1. Launch Reader X

2. Go to Edit option -> Preferences-> General

3. There is an option Enable protected mode at start up (Highlighted in the image below)

4. Uncheck the checkbox and quit reader

5. Then try launching your pdf file

prefrences.JPG

Are you facing this error with all pdf files or this specific file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reloaded Adobe Acrobat DC, and it worked. I checked for updates, downloaded it, and the problem came back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear user,

Can you please share this particular file with us, the engineering team would like to have a look at this issue you have reported a bit closely.

My email id is adhar@adobe.com . You can also copy atulagar@adobe.com which is my colleague's email id.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to report this issue. After our investigations are over, we will be able to redress this pretty soon thereafter.

Sincerely,

Atanu Dhar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this problem constantly if Acrobat X has been open for a while (more than a couple of hours.

ALL of the pdf's I am working with are created on this system, with this user.   There is no protection involved.

I get repeated "An internal error occurred" messages, mostly just a blank message with a blank acrobat window (where the window was populated fine earlier.) 

The error often occurs with a document that I've left open.

Many of the documents, especially the recently created ones are pdf/a, although many are not.

Almost all the documents are scanned and ocr'd so they have large volumes of images.     I do not remember having the error occur specificaly in a pdf that was not a scanned/ocr document, although I will not say it hasn't happened.

There has not been a day that has gone by since installing Acrobat X that this problem has not occurred.

I am trying to use Acrobat as a document processing system to scan index and store documents at a historical society, so this new "feature" of Acrobat X is infuriating and I am just about to downgrade to 9.4

There is another absolutely constant error in Acrobat X, with scanning the back sides of a document, that Acrobat X always cause a fatal error and close, so you lose the 1st side of the document scans.

This happens on multiple scanners in multiple locations.  The scanners are a mix of brand new and old scanners.

Neither of the problems existed in Acrobat 9.     We have not changed anything in the way we work, after upgrading to Acrobat X, we haven't had time to even use any of the new features, all the time has been taken recovering from errors.

No cheers for Acrobat X.   Sort of like Windows Vista ... it looks pretty now, but it doesn't work reliably anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had any luck yet? I have a user who has had the same problem since upgrading to Acrobat X. Often times, the error messages are completely blank, but on occasion the above quoted message is visible.

Not knowing about this thread, I started a new one under Acrobat: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/844510

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Jon-Hall,

I have had an email from Atul whosaid that the problem I was experiencing had been identified and that the engineering team is working on it.

So far no news on when the fix will be made available.

Regards

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Thank you for replying with an update. I just found out that we have two other users with the exact same problems, so now we have at least three users whose Acrobat gets corrupted after it's been open for a long time. How long is too long, I can't say...

Thanks again,

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I installed the 10.1 patch on 6/14 and the user told me this morning the problem hasn't reappeared. I guess they found out the cause!

Thank you, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a famous error that I tend to get no matter what version I may be running.  I always seem to get it randomly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

try Windows file Explorer > View > Deselect preview pane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines