• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to display only comments (not highlighting) upon opening?

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems crazy that there's no functionality for this, but there appears not to be.

I want to mark up a document, highlighting text and making comments here and there. I highlight a lot, which helps me steer my eyes to particular bits of the text when I'm teaching it. Sometimes I leave comments for myself. I'd like to see those comments, and only those comments, without being notified that there is also a "highlighted text" on the comment list. Can we just turn off "formatting" changes? MS Word allows this: comments are only text-based comments to oneself. Highlighting doesn't display as a comment.

The problem is that the way that Adobe currently works it, all of my comments get lost in a sea of "highlighted text" notifications, which basically makes all of the functionality useless to me.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, you only wants to see the comments/sticky notes in the comments pane and not the highlighted text.

Once you do all the highlighting and adding the comment/sticky note in a PDF just click on the filter icon present in the top right of the comment pane as shown below and deselect the highlight under 'types' and click 'Apply', it will then show you only the sticky notes in the PDF file.

Untitled.png

For more information please check the help page: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/comments.html#view_comments

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal, 

Does this mean that there is no way to filter between "highlighted text" notifications and the highlighted text that I comment on? Will I have to instead make a sticky note every time I want to annotate something? If this is the case, is there a way that I can filter out highlights from only the comments section without it removing the highlights from the actual document as well?

Because I agree with Benjamin - when I open the Comments tab, I'd like to see what I have actually commented, not a list of sometimes 150+ "highlighted text" or "underlined text" markups! 

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Please submit the feature request to the engineering team using the link https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My gripe aside, the way we work around this issue is to: (1) highlight the text we want to highlight (without adding comments); (2) print and save as a PDF; (3) add comments thereafter.   Because the highlights become part of the saved (flattened) PDF, the "highlighted text" comments are removed.  When we add our substantative comments, only those show.   Not perfect (because the highlights cannnot be removed or edited), but it works.       

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is lame. This feature should have been included long ago. 

A doc can have dozens of highlights, with only a small number of those with actual text comments.  There is an obvious need to see all the highlights on the doc, and show only the text comments on the sidebar.  Why is this made difficult for the user ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the filter removes the "highlighted text" notation from the comments, it also removes the actual highlights from the PDF as well.  This is NOT what we're looking for.   We simply want to remove the '"highlighted texts" from the comments, not the highlight itself.   Why does Adobe believe it's perfectly fine to add its own comments to mine?      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, did anyone find a fix on the above issue? As already noted, we want to be able to highlight text for emphasis without automatically opening a comment box. We want to have the option to comment on any text, including our highlights, where we deem necessary and to have Acrobat automatically open a Highlight Tex Comment. We then have to go through so may comments to find the ones that have actual text in them which is irritating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Please try to filter comments as described in the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/comments.html and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines