Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attaching files to a pdf in Adobe Reader

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I found these instructions on the web on how to attach a file to a PDF document, however, when i get to step 3 (underlined in the instructions below)  "Click the "Add" button at the top pof the attachment navigation panel to open the "Add Attchment" dialog box.

I do not see an "Add" button available.

I want our users to be able to open our forms and attach scanned documents onto the PDF form in order to submit documentation related to their benefits.  Why do I not see an "Add" button?

How do I get an "Add" button.  The version we are using is Adobe Reader 9.3.  The instructions below are for Adobe 8, but if this can be done in Adobe 8, then i can't imagine it can not be done in Adobe 9.3?

Thank.

JoBeth

How to Attach a File to a PDF Document

You can easily attach files to your Adobe Acrobat PDF document by using the attachment navigational panel. This panel allows you to quickly attach any type of file to your PDF document if you need to send a corresponding file along with your PDF document. Find out how you can utilize the power of Adobe Acrobat by attaching other files to your PDF document.

Difficulty: Easy

Instructions

Things You'll Need:

• Adobe Acrobat 8
  1. Start Adobe Acrobat, and open a PDF document to which you would like to attach an additional file.

2. Choose the "View" menu, point to "Navigation Panels" and click to select "Attachments" so a checkmark appears before the selection and the attachment navigation panel opens at the bottom of the screen.

3. Click the "Add" button at the top of the attachment navigation panel to open the "Add Attachment" dialog box.

4. Use the "Look in" drop-down list and click on your computer files in the "Attach a File" dialog box to browse to find the file you have saved and want to attach to the open PDF document.

5. Click to select the file you want to attach, and click the "Open" button to close the "Add Attachment" dialog box and add the file to the attachment navigation panel. The file is now attached to the open PDF document and will be included any time the PDF document is opened or emailed.

Read more: How to Attach a File to a PDF Document | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2222241_attach-file-pdf-document.html##ixzz0zbsURkkr

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

jobioneAdobe wrote:

The instructions below are for Adobe 8, but if this can be done in Adobe 8, then i can't imagine it can not be done in Adobe 9.3?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2222241_attach-file-pdf-document.html##ixzz0zbsURkkr

That's because those instructions are for Adobe Acrobat and not Adobe Reader. Reader can't do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jobioneAdobe wrote:

The instructions below are for Adobe 8, but if this can be done in Adobe 8, then i can't imagine it can not be done in Adobe 9.3?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2222241_attach-file-pdf-document.html##ixzz0zbsURkkr

That's because those instructions are for Adobe Acrobat and not Adobe Reader. Reader can't do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Graffiti

Collaboratively some co workers and I figured out a roundabout way to attach files in adobe reader (not the full blow adobe acrobat reader). 

Via Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro I created a blank form with the "comment/mark up" tools enabled.  Then I merged that file with the other PDF form that was formatted with fields, radial buttons etc. 

I had to create the blank form for the attachments separately because if I tried to enable the "comment/mark up' tool on the form with fields and radial buttons it disabled the fields. 

Once created separately and then merged the functionality worked.  Does that make sense?

The comment markup tool then allowed me to attach files via the "attach file as a comment" option. 

With all that said.... I would like to know if this functionality works in all versions of Adobe reader and if not at which level it will not.

In addition, is there a way to make sure that the "comment/mark up tool bar" automatically populates when the form is opened.  This would be helpful, as otherwise will have to walk our users through additional steps. 

Do you have any ideas???

Thanks for your feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that you don't attach documents using the attachments screen (bizarrely). You attach documents using the comments toolbar. So what you need to do is go to "view" then "tools" then select "comment".  Once you've activated the comments toolbar you will see a bunch of new icons, one of which looks like a paperclip with a word balloon most of the way to the right.  Bingo.

I found this really frustrating too - hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've figured out how to attach a word document using the comment tools paperclip. However, when I or others open the PDF later and try to open the attached Word document, we receive an error message and the Word document cannot be opened. How can I fix this? I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Even trying to open the Word attachment on my own computer with my own version of Adobe, I get an error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached files as described above using the Comment attach command, but when I send the PDF to users who only have Adobe Reader, they don't see the attached files. Is there anything else that I need to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered that the PDF files I was looking at were not been opened by Adobe Reader but by some other PDF reader provided by Internet Explorer. Same happens if you open a PDF file in Chrome. You must download PDF file if you receive it by email and then open file using Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader is free but not every machine has it by default anymore, so this is how the confusion or difficulty arises. When a user receives a PDF by mail, they need to check that they have Adobe Reader. They must download the received PDF file if they want see the attached files in the PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But the problem is that the button odf adding Attachement is grey. You cannot push it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines