• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic opening of pdf files after download

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thing is bothering me because I tried to look up for support, I tried re-installing Chrome, Adobe Reader and also installing an other PDF Viewer program, but every time I set the app as default app for the .pdf format the downloaded file is instantly opened even if I don't want to. I also tried previous versions of Adobe Reader and it didn't work as well.
I really need it to stop because I have to download a lot of files for University and I don't want to be forced to close these windows every time after the download.

What can I do? Also, I would rather not change browser as I don't want to re-insert all the passwords and favourites again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Hello Kryv,

We're sorry for the trouble you had, there is no such settings/preferences in Adobe Reader, which will enable auto-open of any PDF file when it is downloaded.

Are the PDFs are auto opening in the browser or in Adobe Reader? Try disabling/clearing the auto-open option in the advanced settings of Google Chrome.

If possible, reset the browser to its default. Note: Before resetting the browser to default, make sure you take backup of the bookmarks, saved passwords, links, personalize setti

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. This solved the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be flagged as the correct answer. Thanks Man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, just fixed it. Mine starting opening just two days ago and it was driving me crazy after making shipping labels on paypal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the true MVP! This was driving me crazy! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU SO MUCH! YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!

I have been struggling with this for months and couldn't find a solution anywhere.

It was this easy the whole time.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this!!  Simple and no other good fixes were easily found.  Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive never been more thankful for a fix ...ever!  THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, JTan44! That did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!  Thank you so much.  This solved the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread, but I just started running into this, even though my defaul PDF viewer is Chrome.

There is a setting in your Adobe Reader Preferences that you can change.

You can get to Prefences by Ctrl + K or

opening the drop-down of the top-left hamburger button > Preferences...

Deselect "Open PDFs automatically in Reader when they are downloaded in Chrome browser

Scroll to the bottom and click "OK"

Adobe Checkbox for Automatically Opening Downloads.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to view this option 

Rudra35640462froy_0-1708665134051.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!  This is exactly what mine looks like. Did you ever find an option for this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2024 May 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bruh you just open adobe reader click on preference go to general unclick the option (auto open pdf after installing in chorme) thats it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems as if this option isn't showing for all users in their menu, no clue why. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2024 May 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I been same issue and sort it out as follow:

in PDF, go to Menu>Preferences>General then untick the 'open PDFs automatically'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines