• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use Adobe Reader to digitally sign PDF document?

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created my digital ID using Adobe Reader and it was stored in Window's trusted location (in 'Personal' folder). I can sign a PDF form, sent to me from a third pary, by using Adobe Reader. My digital ID with date and time is printed in the designated box when I sign my digital ID by using my private password.

But when I attach the signed form/document to an email to that third party, they inform that they can't verify my digital signature.

My question: Is it possible to digitally sign a PDF document by using Adobe Reader?

Your response would be much appreciated. Regards.

Sayeed Hassan

TOPICS
PDF forms , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is it possible to digitally sign a PDF document by using Adobe Reader?"

Yes

To verify the signature the receiver of your document needs the public key of your signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd,

Many thanks for for reponse. 

Do I have to extract the public key from my digital ID and send it separately to the receiver?

After digitally signing the PDF form, I saved the signed form in a folder and subsequently emailed as attachment to the receiver. Is this the correct procedure?

You response would be much appreciated

Regards, Sayeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do I have to extract the public key from my digital ID and send it separately to the receiver?"

Yes. When you export the public key you will get 2 options:

Bild2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for your response.

I will try again to see if the receiver can verify my digital signature in the document sent by me.

Rergards, Sayeed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fundamental to how signatures work. "Verify" checks 2 things

(1) the signing is done correctly and the file hasn't been tampered with after signing

(2) the sigature is genuine. 

The signature can be considered genuine if either of these applies

(a) the signature can be checked against a public list of public keys

(b) the person verifying has added this specific public key.

NEVER, NEVER, email a document and a public key. That would be like trying to prove a document is genuine, by adding a post-it note saying "genuine". You need to communicate separately with the recipient, and send them the signature. They need to know it is you, by some recognised or personal contact (like a visit). This is hard work, so outside a single company publicly issued certificates are usually used. These are paid for, and the main thing paid for is detailed identity checking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines