• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting Adobe XML forms back to normal PDF

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2008 Oct 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to get rid of the XML Forms in my PDF and then save as regular PDF format so that I can merge files into single PDF.

When I edit file in Designer and get rid of form elements, then save as PDF. I still can't combine files. I get error that says my file is still Adobe XML.

Is there a way to save PDFs that still have forms in them as non-AdobeXML files?

If not, how do I get rid of Forms and convert back into regular PDF that I can combine with othe PDFs into one single PDF?
TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 20, 2008 Oct 20, 2008
Once you have gone to Designer, you are stuck there. There is no way
to get that particular PDF back into Acrobat form. It no longer is a
PDF form, it's XML in a PDF wrapper even if you remove all the form
fields.

You might be able to print to PDF from Acrobat to make a new,
non-form, flat PDF.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open the XML form file in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, extract the file, then insert it back into my pdf document. Open the file then click on Page Thumbnails in the left column.  Below that click on the page icon and in the drop down menu choose Extract Pages.  Save the file then you should be able to insert back into a pdf document.  Worked for me anyway!  Although this is an extra step and a pain it seems to be the easiest without having to utilize additional software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this answer. I really appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BEST ANSWER. THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This worked and was an easy solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the same way but only blank page was extracted. ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me.   I highlighted the pages I wanted to transfer in Thumbnail.  Right Click - Select Extract Pages. Then I saved to my folder with a new file name.   I could transfer the pages from this new file to another Adobe file.  I did not use Designer, merely the pdf file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I solved the problem like this.

- Document with one page only:

I used InDesign to place it and export in Adobe PDF (Print).

- Document with three pages:

Open document in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC > Organize pages > Select all three pages > Export > Extract as separate files > Extract.
Were created Three PDF files.
Opened InDesign and created three pages. I placed each PDF file in each InDesign page. Export in Adobe PDF (Print).

Result: DONE!

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to solve this by exporting to postcript from Acrobat Pro DC (Mac.) Then I created a pdf from the postcript file. Worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that but the editable form input fields were no longer editable.  What do I need to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Adobe Acrobat add the form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd, Didn't see your post before I posted mine below.  Maybe I can use the 7 day free trial of Acrobat to do that to all the forms in all my PDF files.  I'll have to figure out how to do that but seems like a lot of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add form fields with the trial version of Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To expand on that...  I've been able to read all my PDFs (and edit the included forms) with Preview on Mac.  But for some reason today I get this:

Please wait... 
If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

I don't know what changed.

The files are in LiveCycle Designer XFA format.  I don't know how that happened.  Maybe because the forms were first filled in using Foxit.  But that was years ago.  Several months ago I noticed the Foxit behavior changed so I switched to using Preview (with no problems until today).

Am I stuck with using Acrobat Reader?  Any alternative readers?  Any way to convert from XFA format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Mac OS Users:

Option 1 (should work for most):

You can use the built-in/pre-installed Mac OS application called, "Preview" to flatten the PDF. Make sure the document(s) you want to flatten are stored locally on your computer.

1. Launch the Preview application on your Mac computer. (You should be able to find this using Finder).
  2. Using the Preview application, open the PDF.
  3. At the top of the screen of the Preview application menu, click "File" > "Export as PDF." (Do NOT select "Export").
  4. Input a File name for the to-be created flattened PDF.
  5. Click Save. This newly saved document should be a flattened PDF.

Option 2 (might not work from everyone and requires Adobe software):

Make sure the document(s) you want to flatten are stored locally in your computer.

1. Using a Finder window, locate the unflattened PDF in your hard drive.
  2. Once located, right click on the PDF file. For Mac, this is done by holding the control key and left-clicking/clicking on the file.
  3. Select "Open With" > and select "Save as Adobe PDF." (This may not appear for everyone).
  4. Input a File name for the to-be created flattened PDF.
  5. Click Save. This newly saved document should be a flattened PDF.

For Microsoft PC Users:

You can create a flattened PDF with virtually any other software that allows you to view PDF documents.

1. Open your existing PDF document in your PDF reader of choice (Adobe Pro, Adobe Acrobat Reader, web browser, etc.)
  2. Click File > Print or just the Print button.
  3. As your printer: Choose 'Microsoft Print to PDF' as your printer.
    1. An alternative choice for flattening documents is selecting "Adobe PDF" printer rather than Microsoft Print to PDF; however, this may not work if your document was signed through Adobe Sign; in that case, please use Microsoft Print to PDF.
  4. Click Print.
  5. Input a File name for the to-be created flattened PDF.
  6. Click Save. This newly saved document should be a flattened PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft PC User here. Thank you so much for the hack. I had tried literally everything else and was starting to go a little crazy because nothing was working, and I had a deadline to beat for the submission of the document that was giving me such grief. The 'Microsoft Print to PDF' option worked perfectly, can't thank you enough! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported the XML/PDF to JPEG.

Then exported the JPEGs to (flat) PDFs. 

I tried saving as a PDF while going to "Print" but Acrobat just didn't provide that option in the Acrobat Print Settings. 

It was only two pages,  so that's handy. After creating 2 JPEGS I then opened the them in PREVIEW and exported them to PDF. Way faster to do that than search online for how to convert--and consider getting new software! 

Did it all with Acrobat and Preview. Easy, free.

Sadly, the form I needed to convert is from the Canada Revenue Agencey (an official form for tax purposes that they require me to submit outside of my tax return) and I'm submitting multiple forms in one document to upload to their website. Wish I'd known why the "PDF" wouldn't combine, that it was XML --or that this one just couldn't be combined. It took some poking around in Acrobat. The error message told me to change the Preferences (which wasn't even an option, I could only change "Settings")

On the whole though, I'd rather spend an hour scratching my head and searching (and learning something new)--than submitting all my documents by mail. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very likely they will reject your file in this format, since you've manipulated it like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had to save the file in Adobe as a JPG, then converted the JPG into a PDF and were able to take those (Unsecured) PDF files and covert those sucessfullly in the new designer adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds awfully impractical.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines