• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Didnt set password, still my PDF file is asking for a password to open

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several PDF files that I used to be able to open, but now, they are asking for a password. I did not create a password for any of these files. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, how do I resolve it? Thank you.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

I've seen this recently and it was fixed in Reader using a patch. Make sure you have the very latest update.

In Reader use Help>Check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 121 Replies 121
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file 已合併 google_privacy_policy_zh-TW(1) has no password or restrictions for me. Do you get a password prompt? When?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as various people mentioned. I just installed the latest version of Acrobat Pro, and a PDF that has never been password protected (and purposefully so, I might add) now has a password attached to it, which is unknown to anyone. This is a terrible flaw. Has anyone found a fix yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes same issue here. PDFS that I could edit before now ask for a password. How do we get around this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I have made pdfs out of gmail emails and ppts and I cannot edit them because adobe asks for a password. I have created these files and I never added a password. Please provide a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May we see one of the files? There shouldn't be any confidential data on or e-mail addresses or things like that. Best is to create a PDF file for this on purpose.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Created a file issued for signature, received all signatures back and now want to combine with another document - will not let me as it is now password protected??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, signed files can't be combined, unless you combine them as a part of a Portfolio.

This is a crucial feature of a digital signature, which is meant to preserve the original state of the file when it was signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gaylene24859124tazu wrote:

Hi is it possible to PLEASE post a simple answer to fix the issue of PDFs asking for passwords? This is really outrageous that so many customers are negatively affected by some product upgrade. We all need to get on with our work! HELP FIX THE PROBLEM YOU CREATED PLEASE.

Obviously, the file presented here has protection on. The simple answer is that there is no problem. There was only a short-time glitch in the software in 2018. If you have an issue, it's a different one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like everyone else on this thread, I'm tearing my hair out trying to sort out this demand for a password.... I've paid my subscription to Adobe for the PDF conversion software and have wasted half a day trying to convert Virgin Credit Card Statements from PDF to Excel (Why are they not allowing their statements to be downloaded in CSV format?  You may well ask... ) So after two whole days wasted this week trying to download last financial year's statements in Excel to send to my accountant, I'm no closer to sorting this than I was before I paid money to Adobe for a service that is manifestly inadequate.  From the sheer volume of frustrated consumers in this thread encountering the same issue, its very evident once you have taken our money you have zero interest in providing any technical support when your program does not do what it says on the label.  Shame on you Adobe !!!!!

Dr Kathy Munro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dr Kathy,

You are blaming the wrong person. You should blame your Virgin Credit Card issuer for issuing a statement as a PDF that is protected. As soon as you have a password protected document, you need the password to unlock certain features that the document originator wanted to disallow. It has nothing to do with Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine you were given a locked transparent box with documents inside of it. You can see the documents and read their contents, but can't reach them (because the author didn't want you to change them). But you really want to access those documents, only you don't have the key, so you can't do it. Would you go to the lock-maker and complain to them you can't open the box? No, right? Because it's not their fault you can't access the contents of the box. They just created the lock. Well, this is essentially what you're doing here by accusing Adobe (AKA the lock-maker) in this scenario, instead of Virgin (AKA the authors of the documents, and the holders of the key to the box).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file was mine and I did not password protect it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd. I've never seen this. Is it possible to share the file (as long as there is no private information in the file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. SMFH. I never added a password to my document. Adobe. Fix. This. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our office is having the same problems. PDFs that we've been copying & editing for ages, all suddenly require a password that we did not create. Stop blaming the pdf source as the issue..... it's clearly Adobe doing this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you creating the files yourself, or are you receiving them from someone else? If the latter, how can you be sure that nothing changed in how they are created? Can you share a sample file with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same issue as everyone else - on two different computers both with up to date acrobat readers. I have resolved it completely by installing a third party reader and setting it as my default for .pdf files. I may go back to acrobat reader if I hear about an update that resolves the problem with zero effort from my side, but otherwise I'll just carry on with my free foxit PDFreader which seems just as good as the Acrobat product.  Acrobat - I realize you didn't do this deliberately, and I know that all developers make mistakes, but the reports on this page go back to 2018. Maybe it would be a good idea to do something about it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

I appear to have the same issue - is there a fix now?

I have a number of PDFs which I can open individually, but when I try to combine them in Adobe Acrobat Standard, the programme tells me that some of the PDFs are password protected.   

I have not added password protection to any of the documents.

The PDFs are of 12 bank statements that were all downloaded from the same bank website, so it seems unlikely that it's anything to do with the bank website.

Hoping a fix is available by now.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat Pro combine the files as portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for reply - I just tried that - same outcome.

I have Adobe Acrobat Standard (64 bit), not Adobe Acrobat Pro.....is that the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The PDFs are of 12 bank statements that were all downloaded from the same bank website, so it seems unlikely that it's anything to do with the bank website.

Exactly the opposite. It's very likely the bank applies this security policy to the statements (or a digital signature, which is also a type of security policy), in order to prevent the files from being edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevan26574452ojeh, there isn't a fix because it isn't broken! That is to say, the bank actually put a password there specifically and deliberately, to stop you combining files (and doing other things). Acrobat is just doing what the bank asked. (It's no use contacting the bank about this - the people on customer service will know nothing about it). That said, combining as a portfolio SHOULD work, so please double check this and describe your steps. Portfolios were invented especially to help people with this sort of problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for explaining - really helpful and I can understand why the bank might password protect documents.    It only affects recent statements so I guess it's a recent change made by the bank.    Daresay it's something that will happen to PDFs more and more in the future.   

Might be handy if the passoword request indicated who or which organisation had added the password to prevent folk feeling like there is something broken in the system?

I'll try to combine as a portfolio and report back......all the best!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo!!!

Combining multiple PDF files which have password protection into a portfolio works perfectly.

Many thanks for all your help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original PDF can be unlocked, yet Adobe locks it after we type in information. 

This is product pure and simply terrible and the posted company excuses are untruthful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines