• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display issues for XFA-based PDF forms

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 10, and use Chrome as brower, have the latest version Acrobat Reader DC on my computer. Try to open an application Form from a website but get an error message as follows:

"The document you are trying to load requires Adobe Reader 8 or higher. You may not have the Abode Reader installed or your viewing environment may not be properly configured to use Adobe Reader. Please see http://www.adobe.com/go/pdf_forms_configure"

I followed this link and refer to configure for Chrome; it asks to go to chrome://plugins/, but when I did I got error message 'this site can't be reached; the webpage might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently'.

What else I can do?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Most PDF viewers (especially browser-based ones) do not support viewing or filling in of  XFA-based PDF forms.

If you use Chrome, you must configure Chrome to download PDF files instead of opening them in Chrome. (The URL you see is obsolete, sorry!)

(1)    Click on the 3-dot icon on the top right of the Chrome browser window and select Settings.

(2)    Select Privacy and security on the left side of the window and click on Site settings.

(3)    Click on Additional content settings at th

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most PDF viewers (especially browser-based ones) do not support viewing or filling in of  XFA-based PDF forms.

If you use Chrome, you must configure Chrome to download PDF files instead of opening them in Chrome. (The URL you see is obsolete, sorry!)

(1)    Click on the 3-dot icon on the top right of the Chrome browser window and select Settings.

(2)    Select Privacy and security on the left side of the window and click on Site settings.

(3)    Click on Additional content settings at the bottom on the screen.

(4)    Click on PDF documents and enable the option to Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome.

At this point, PDF files will be downloaded to your Downloads directory or wherever you choose to store the PDF file. Then open that directory, double click the file icon of the desired file and it will open up in Adobe Acrobat Reader (or if you have the full Acrobat product, in either Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Standard) assuming you have set Windows to use that software to be the default PDF file handler.

Voila, problem solved!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voila! Problem not solved. I opened the PDF using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro 2022 and still have the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you download it by printing to PDF? If so, don't do that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enable XFA in google by entering the following chrome://flags/#pdf-xfa-forms and enable it and then click on the relaunch button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I have previously played with the chrome://flags option and I wanted to give my thoughts in case it helps anyone. This plug-in opens XFA forms in the Chrome browser but be aware as it actually opens a view of the file as what I believe to be an HTML view of the form (if this is wrong, please feel free to correct me but its not retaining all of the XFA functionality). If you try to fill it out the form in the browser it will produce unexpected results. For example, we have buttons (email, print, reset) in the Designer Master Pages in the top part of our forms that do not work in this view. Another example is an email obect in the main area that cut my user entered data to a multi-line value when there is plenty of room, and in Designer its not set to multi-line. I also noticed that some fields do not flow when you show/hide or add objects. The good news is that, you can download this file to your computer then open it in Acrobat where it returns to the original XFA file. However, if you try to fill it out within the browser, I dont see a way to save your work, you can only download where your entered values are not saved. Just wanted to respectfully make note of a couple of things that I've noticed with this option. (attached are examples) 🙂 Please let us know if anyone has better more updated information. Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply nowackem. Microsoft Edge now have the XFA option.To enable this feature, type Edge://flags/xfa in Microsoft Edge.  See the attachment below. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Firefox now supports XFA by default, try that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines