Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Download of pdf file fails

May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to download a pdf file from a website to read, it downloads a few kb of the file and then freezes.  Is this an Adobe problem or an Internet Explorer problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like an issue with your connection. Could you please let me know the following:

1. The OS and the version of Adobe Reader on your system.

2. The browser being used.

Just to be sure whether or not its an issue with Reader, can you try and do the following:

1. Open the page: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/update-patch-acrobat-reader-10.html

2. Right click on the hyperlink "10.0" under the "Vers." column in the "Windows update file information" table.

3. Click on "Save Link As" or likewise and provide a location to save the PDF.

Does this work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit,

I have Windows Vista 32 bit as my OS.  I use Adobe Reader 10.  Internet Explorer 8 is my browser.

For the second part of your email, when I clicked on "10.0"  it donwloaded 112kb of the file and then Just stopped.  The bar went most of the way across, but stopped.

Please reply ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you clicked the Left mouse button, on the link. Can you please click the right mouse button on the same, and chose to "Save Target As..."

If you did indeed right click on the link and saw the same behavior then I guess the issue is with you Internet Connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I right clicked and saved it to my desktop.  What am I to do with the file?

Retirement is Good!

Dedication and Involvement Never Retire! 

Larry Smartt

President

East Oakland County MEA-Retired

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Race Car Driver wrote:

OK, I right clicked and saved it to my desktop.  What am I to do with the file?

Open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did open it.  There is nothing there to help me correct my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned before, I asked you to save the PDF to check whether it was an issue with Reader rendering the PDF or with your connection. The PDF itself, does not have any info related to your post.

Since, you were able to download the PDF separately, it does not seem to be an issue with your internet connection.

To help resolve your problem, could you please try the following:

1. Run a repair operation for Reader from within the Control Panel.

2. Try opening any local PDF (i.e. a PDF on your local drive) in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried number 2 and was able to open a document within the browser.  I am able to open any pdf file that is on my hard drive. What I am not able to do is open a file from a website link.  I have attached a pdf. file with a screen shot of what happens.  It downloads to a point and then freezes.

I could not find a repair tool for Adobe Reader in my Control Panel.

I will wait for your reponse.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To repair the Reader installation, please naviagate to Control Panel > Programs and Features. From therein, select the Adobe Reader entry and right click on the same and chose Modify. Chose to Repair the installation in the next dialogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did exactly as you said.  When it was completed. I went to two different websites to open a pdf file and the same thing happened.  Part of the document was downloaded and then it froze.

Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really strange!

Sorry to be asking this now, but could you please let me know the exact version of Adobe Reader on your system. You can check the same by clicking on Help > About Adobe Reader from within the Reader application.

If its not version 10.1.3, please update to the latest version by clicking on Helop > Check for Updates.

If you are on version 10.1.3, then as a temporary workaround, you can navigate to Edit > Preferences > Internet and uncheck the checkbox for "Display PDF in browser".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know the final result for this.  This work around only works for certain circumstances.  I have users using applications which generate pdfs and display them in browser windows.  They are basically at work stoppage until I get a better solution (even if it is to get the coders to add a button which allows them to download the pdf - instead of starting a browser window and displaying it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG-20210808-WA0000.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Mac OS

Acrobat DC Pro

Version 2021 - 007 20099

I am using Chrome browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it does not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the right click button on a Mac keyboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right click is on a Mac mouse. If you have a one button mouse, you can set it up in system preferences. Often, Ctrl+click will work.

Bear in mind you're trying to follow advice almost a decade old, for someone using Internet Explorer in a long dead version of Windows. Don't expect your problem to be the same, or the solution to be the same, or even to be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines