Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded PDF viewing generates error 0:521 and crashes Internet Explorer

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have at least 3 users that are affected by the issue in the Subject line. All machines are running Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit with version 19.021.20047 of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I've also attached a screenshot of the error message users are receiving. It should be noted that this issue only began occurring after our environment was updated to this version of Reader DC; previous versions did not cause this issue. Is this a new issue in this build? Please advise.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , PDF and browsers , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

I know it is old question, but I got the issue still with new version 2022 and I think I have identified the cause - at least in my situation.

In Preferences -> Security (Enhanced) -> "Run in AppContainer" <- remove the tick
Do it under considaration as it will reduce the protection offered by ACROBAT (as far as I can understand).
Hope it will help out ...
Cheers
Ethan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathonr

Thanks for reaching out. As described above, you are getting the error 0:521, correct?

We see that you are using the version 19.21.20047. A new update for Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC got released on 24th Oct 2019 version 19.21.20049. Please update the application to the new version available. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

For detailed information please refer to the help article https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated the affected machines to v19.21.20049. I will let you know what comes up if anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We still have one user that's experiences the error message. I ran a repair on the installtion from within Adobe Reader DC and that appears to have cleared it up. I'll post back once I've had the user conduct testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the observation.

We are here for help. Feel free to contact us for any further assistance required in the future.

Thanks

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there are still 2 users experiencing this issue with v19.21.20049. Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have started seeing this error when opening one pdf to another using links in a browser.  We are running the latest version as of 10/20/2020 it's terribly disruptive to our production environment.  How do we stop this error from occuring?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue.. we have the latest version installed of acrobat dc 21.011.20039 64 bit. it seems to happen when ever we close a pdf and open another right after. I can duplicate this error every time. We are required to use Acrobat DC for our Thompson Reuters File Cabinet software. Our Accountants are like Crack Adicted Hampsters with ADHD and can't wait the 2 or 3 sec it takes DC to shut down before clicking the next link.

Please let me know how to fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

A new version of Acrobat/Reader DC is now available ver 22.1.20085. Please try to update the application manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html and reboot the computer once and check .

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it is old question, but I got the issue still with new version 2022 and I think I have identified the cause - at least in my situation.

In Preferences -> Security (Enhanced) -> "Run in AppContainer" <- remove the tick
Do it under considaration as it will reduce the protection offered by ACROBAT (as far as I can understand).
Cheers
Ethan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to follow your instructions and they didn't work, I also did a repair and it didn't work and then I deleted adobe and reinstalled it but I can't solve the problem yet, can anyone help me? error-0521.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Maybe try to:

disable the "Enable Protected mode at startup"
Disable "Enable enhanced security"

(those options depends on the version of Acrobat you are on - i am on 22.003....)

The issue as I understand it is, that Adobe Reader is not getting the file data fast enough to process for disply.

Assuming the PDF is not embeded in another app, try to download it first. If it is the type that each "control click", load another page "on the fly" - it might be the PDF render on the backend too slow.

Ethan

(my background is from the SAP world, so I am just guessing what is your scenario)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue with error code 0:521, I tried all fixes discussed, I went into CC and ran an update, and suprisingly there were updates available, Ive attached image. User is also having the issue when closing one pdf and opening another right away. Installed vertsion 22.003.20314. Swapped her pc to see if it is user or device issue, and she got the error on the new pc as well. I am hoping the update clears this up. We pay for this service. 

Abbey265991350k03_0-1675198394652.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it, Internet Explorer reached its end of life in June 2022. So Adobe will no longer support using it to display PDF, so far as I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also pay for this and we are experiencing the same issue.  We are not using IE and our error message (0:521 error message) comes up when opening a pdf inside of Outlook (2016).  Need answers asap...

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @LHPalmBC 

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

Runtime Code 0 521 happens when Adobe Acrobat fails or crashes whilst it's running, hence its name. It doesn't necessarily mean that the code was corrupt in some way, but just that it did not work during its run-time.

Please try to stop these conflicting programs.

• Open Task Manager by clicking Ctrl-Alt-Del at the same time. This will let you see the list of programs currently running.
  • Go to the Processes tab and stop the programs one by one by highlighting each program and clicking the End Process buttom.
  • You will need to observe if the error message will reoccur each time you stop a process.
  • Once you get to identify which program is causing the error, you may go ahead with the next troubleshooting step, reinstalling the application.

You may also try to update or reinstall the conflicting application.

You might be getting the error because of an update, like the MS Visual C++ package which might not be installed properly or completely. What you can do then is to uninstall the current package and install a fresh copy.

• Uninstall the package by going to Programs and Features, find and highlight the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package.
  • Click Uninstall on top of the list, and when it is done, reboot your computer.
  • Download the latest redistributable package from Microsoft then install it.

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines