Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fillable PDF locking after saving

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having problems with a fillable Adobe Acrobat PDF locking after some users save it.

It is a form that is sent out to other users, who fill in the form partially, save it and then email it to me. After receiving the form I need to make further edits, but in some cases the form that I receive is locked and cannot be further edited.

The form security is set to not allow signatures or comments. The users are filling the form using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (64-bit) on their laptops and they are not attempting to sign the form.

The issue seems to occur randomly, with the form saving without issue sometimes, and at other times locking for the same user.

This issue creates a lot of re-work for me because if the form is locked I need to create an entirely new form.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Tiffany

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the form eventally processed by a PDF printer or so, when you're getting it back? Reader itself doesn't change the security settings of a PDF form. It requires additional rights for it to do this or for signing forms, so there seems to be something else in the chain responsible. What's shown in the properties of such affected form compared to one that's fine? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When we open the locked document we get this error message popping up:

T225362033ysy_0-1641503821359.png

When I open the security properties of the locked documents, they show "filling of form fields" as "Not allowed":

T225362033ysy_1-1641503894182.png

When I open the security properties of a form that can be edited, it shows "Filling of form fields" as "Allowed":

T225362033ysy_2-1641504245405.png

However, I don't know how or why this change is happening when the users are filling out the form and saving it. Is there a way to fix this at the lever of the users or at my level? Thanks for your help!

Tiffany

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't add extended features to the form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens sometimes when the file got flawly compressed or decompressed when mailed. Think of the extended features added like a certificate added to the form. It tells the Reader, which additional functions can be used and what changes to the file are allowed. It becomes invalid when the form got changed in just one tiny bit any other way. Then you're seeing that error message. If this happens just with certain users, you may try a different way to send and receive the forms with them (cloud, zip file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found was it locks when someone used a fill and sign signature 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, signing the file will lock it, unless done with a digital signature field set to not lock the fields when signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
How do you accomplish that?

--
Michael J Cokkinos

Assistant Chair

Marketing Communications

Fashion Institute of Technology, SUNY
212-217-4476
michael_cokkinos@fitnyc.edu
fitnyc.edu
[image: linkedin] <>
Visit My FIT YT CHANNEL
<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines