Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hiding the tool bar / showing page thumbnails by default

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Does anyone know how can the right side tool bar be hidden by default on Acrobat DC?

Likewise, how can the page thumbnails show up everytime a PDF is opened?

Many thanks

Gil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Hi all,

The right side panel behavior has been fixed in the DC update that was released on 14th July (Release Notes). If you close the panel once, Acrobat will now remember that and will not auto-open it.

For Adobe Reader, go to Edit > Preferences (or press Ctrl+K) and under “Documents” section, uncheck “Open tools pane for each document”.

1.   Launch Reader
  2.   Uncheck this preference
  3.   Collapse the RHP
  4.   And relaunch Reader  =>> Now RHP will appear as collapsed for every doc

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

-ash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stuart,

Did you follow the steps shared in the What's New document: What's new in Adobe Acrobat DC

Can you share what product and version you are on?

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only works if you want to KEEP the thumbnails visible.

I wish to minimise the left bar, including the icons, when I open a PDF in Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jurasik,

The Page Thumbnails view does not open by default. Does it happen with all PDFs or some specific files?

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only two steps, you can hide tools pane forever

Step 1: Go to Preferences (Edit >> Preferences or press Ctrl + K). At the left column, click on Documents. You see the contents at the right pane. Uncheck "Open tools pane for each documents". Press OK and exit Preferences windows.

Screenshot (13).png

Step 2: Go to View >> Show/Hide. Uncheck Tools Pane. Done. You never see that pane

Screenshot (14).png
Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you – this is done! Now I wonder if there is a way to have the Navigation Bar, therefore the thumbnails, always OPEN when I open a PDF……………ideas on that one?

Thanks again, Amy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to do that. Sometime, you open a .pdf file that include bookmark, Adobe reader will show automatical all bookmark at Navigation Bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response…………

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm replying to vote for the removal or at least the option to toggle the sidebar. It takes up a ton of space and it's full of options I will never click. This is Adobe *Reader* so please let me just read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any more advice on the thumbnail view issue? It is a pain to keep having to bring it up every time I open a new PDF. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CALL TO ADOBE:

NEED:

Default view capabilities to open to see page thumbnails w/doc.

Also, IMHO, the bates-labeling has become a nuisance tool when it was previously a godsend.

Why do techies try to "fix" things that aren't broken?  Wish I'd kept earlier version, but as a result of your READER not playing nice with Pro, and all the Electronic Records service providers playing footsies with both... "upgraded".  Any comments, Adobe personnel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2016 Jan 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can configure thumbnails to open on a per document basis, such that thumbnails will appear on subsequent accesses of the file. Go to Edit > Preferences > Documents and check "Restore last view settings when reopening documents".

Also, please send across details about improvements to Bates Numbering functionality by visiting: www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; I'd figured the per document thumbnail feature, but wanted it globally to open all that way...

Appreciate your response!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previous versions of Acrobat (not addressing Reader here) had the word "Tools" on the top of the right panel.  Clicking that opened or closed the panel- simple.  I have to check accessibility for files in Acrobat and use this panel every day, however I also had issues trying to figure out how to close it when I needed the real estate.  I appreciate being able to use <shift><F4> now, but why remove the feature at all, and then bring it back with a set of keystrokes instead of the simple click I have used for years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marlama‌,

You can still collapse the Right Hand Panel using a single click in Acrobat DC (just click on the small triangle in the RHP strip). Moreover, Acrobat DC remembers your chosen state for RHP and stays expanded/collapsed across sessions unless toggled again.

Untitled.png

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines