• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I install Reader on a computer with no internet?

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2013 Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an old Dell laptop with XP on it. It can not hook up to the internet. I want to put Reader on it so I can use the laptop to open shop manuals I have that are Adobe (PDF) files. I've tried several times to download different versions of reader (on my new computer which I then put on a thumb drive) and it tries to install them but eventually towards the end seeks to connect to the internet to look for updates or whatever. There must be a way to download a copy of reader (probably an older version like 9) on my new laptop so I can copy the file to the old laptop and install it without the program needing to go to the internet for something. HOW???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2013 Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the full offline installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Claudio. I tried your suggestion. It did not work. Here is what happens: once I double click on the saved (on a thumb drive), downloaded file (reader 9.5.0) it starts to install. When it gets to the end, a window opens that says "downloading MSI update..." which of course it can't since that computer will NOT connect to the internet (this is an old Dell 600 with XP unknown service pack on it). Then I get the error window: "Adobe bootstrapper for single installation has encountered a problem and needs to close" which stops the installation. Then another window with "error code 150210". This is what happens every time with every downloaded version of Adobe reader I've tried. Any other suggestions? Thanks a bunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something funny here. The downloads from that link are full offline installers, so they are not supposed to need an internet connection to work, and have been installed by many without a hitch. Did you copy the installer to the HD of your old computer before running it?

In any case, this one should work:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Claudio; this is very unusual.  Do you have an older Reader version installed on that XP system?  If so, can you remove it using http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html and try the install again?

Note that this uninstaller will also remove Acrobat if it's installed on the same system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Claudio and Pat for working with me. I checked and there is no version of Adobe on the old laptop. Yes, I copied the installer to the hard drive and tried to run it with the same results; it keeps looking for an MSI update. When I went to the link Claudio suggested above, I get a long list of file folders. What should I do there? Do I copy one, or a couple? Sorry I'm such a pain but this is pretty frustrating. Thanks again for your help, really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to try: download, then run the MSI installer http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.5.0/en_US/AdbeRdr950_en_US.msi

If you still get the error with the MSI update, can you post a screenshot of it?  (See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pat. I will try that and get back to you, but it may take a while as sudden responsibilities have popped up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try buying the program itself at Best-Buy and installing it.  I couldn't imagine a new copy needing any updates right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gibson69 wrote:

You could try buying the program itself at Best-Buy and installing it.

Adobe Reader is a free program; anyone selling it is probably doing this illegally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I loaded this up on my computer that I do not have connected with internet/browser.  Old windows (2003?)  It worked without an issue.  Thank you for posting this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines