• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I download Adobe Reader for Chromebook?

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I download Adobe Reader for Chromebook? The Georgia state tax forms for 2018 can't be printed or viewed without Adobe Reader.They won't mail them to you, and they are not available at the library. The Chrome pdf reader doesn't work. I disabled it  hoping, per online discussions, that Adobe would just "kick in" but it didn't, and now can't open any pdf files. Federal tax forms download/print fine, but apparently Georgia added "advanced" features to their forms which makes them incompatible with the default Chrome pdf viewer. Am I, and all Chrome users in Georgia just out of luck?

TOPICS
Download and install , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Acrobat Reader is not available for ChromeOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrickd,

If I understand your query correctly, you have been trying to open the tax form online via chrome? Chrome web browser doesn't support the Adobe Reader plugin after further changes.

For detailed description you can refer to - Display PDF in browser Adobe Acrobat, Acrobat Reader

Change in support for Acrobat and Reader plug-ins in modern web browsers

Chrome uses its own pdf viewer and we don't have hold on it. You can check with any other web browser if that allows you.

Or if you can download the form and open it using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC desktop application- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akki

Thank you for your answer. Appended to your email was a remark asking me to

go to the forums and click "Correct" below your answer, I assume so that

the question could be "closed." Just fyi, there is no option to mark your

answer as correct at the link provided. Thanks again for your quick

response... Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat,

You're welcome.

Let us know if any further assistance is required.

-Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so it work chromebook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader is not available for ChromeOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to enable Linux (Beta) in settings.

Open Linux terminal and type:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && \

sudo apt-get update && \

curl -O http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.5.5/enu/AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb && \

sudo apt-get install -y ./AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb && \

sudo apt-get install -y libxml2:i386 && \

acroread

That will allow you to run Acrobat Reader.

If you want printing then you nedd to type:

sudo apt-get install cups-bsd

and configure your printer with cups

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this command still accurate or up to date. I ran the command although it errored at the end.

Error message:

(acroread:7517): Gtk-WARNING **: 11:00:55.188: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually applied it today and it's working.
I can also see the warnings but Adobe Reader works nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello this command you type the whole thing as is in Linux

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && \

sudo apt-get update && \

curl -O http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.5.5/enu/AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb && \

sudo apt-get install -y ./AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb && \

sudo apt-get install -y libxml2:i386 && \

acroread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I did type in that full command and it is telling me it is unsupported does have to with the AdberRdr9.5.5-1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it and got error messages from curl:

could not resolve host: i386linux

could not resolve host: enu.deb

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it working correctly, but now I just need to be able to CAC sign with the Certificates tool. Any ideas on how to get this?

Thanks, 

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, worked on my chromebook. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8/30/23:::I'm needing to know if this command is still working now? 

When I go to the play store on my chromebook and search for Adobe Acrobat, the one that is called "Adobe Acrobat Reader: Edit" is the one that I had been using on my Moto G Stylus, so that's the one I keep trying to download. But then the whole play store will close, and I'll have to start the process all over again. Just for it to fail every time. I'm not sure what I need to do here. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry, just to further clarify, I'm trying to download this particular one because I was having to use my phone to make and fill out PDFs and then convert them over into docx form if I need to. I'm sorry if this is not making much sense. I'm trying to type this while also listening to someone monologue at me... I just got this chromebook and I'm still in the process of setup and getting all these kinks ironed out.. I didn't know any better lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easy. Just install the Adobe Reader Android. app from the Google Play Store. It runs perfectlyon my Asus chromebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to get my documents to open on adobe with my chrome book ? I press it and then it brings up the opening screen and closes. I don't understand :(. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could't open pdf in Adobe. Download the pdf and open it in downloads. Now it opens the complete pfd file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is available for android so you should be able to install it on your chromebook.

I installed it and it didnt show up on my applications. So, whats going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forms which say they need Acrobat Reader mean (but don't say) Acrobat Reader on Mac or Windows. Android and iOS don't cut it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to open and save Adobe Acrobat PDF files but I am trying to open a file from the Candian government that seems to be on Reader DC. I just cannot open the f-ing file on my Chromebook! I am making sure I got the most updatedversion on the app. I added the extention to the Chrome browser. I even powerwashed my Chromebook to activate the developers mode because other wise I won'y be able to install it on my Chromebook! Nothing! When I try to open the file it says that Acrobat Reader DC  for Windows or iOS! Same message on my friends iPad! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Acrobat Reader DC  for Windows or iOS!" -- no, I suspect it says Windows or MacOS. Since iPads do run iOS. This is a normal message and means what it says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an Adobe website to download Acrobat Reader for other versions
including Android (5 and above, 32 and 64 bits). I downloaded it but I was
not able to install it neither on my (Google Pixel) phone or Chromebook and
they are running the latest versions! On what kind of device was it meant
to for?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines