• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to open PDF files in their own separate windows?

Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it interesting that as support for multiple monitors becomes more standard in operating systems, applications start forcing all associated documents into the same window such that one sometimes has to employ registry hacks to get the documents into separate windows to be able to easily compare side-by-side across the multiple monitors.

First it was Microsoft Excel... now it appears Adobe Reader is forcing the documents into a single window.

While Adobe Reader at least allows one to click on the "Window" menu and choose "New Window" to "move" a PDF to a separate window (annoyingly enough instead of actually moving the selected tab to the new window, it opens another copy, which requires one to still close the first copy in the original window). I'd prefer the default behavior to automatically open the documents in new windows when I double click on them in Windows Explorer to open them.  At least give me a preference option for this...

Does anyone have any (permanent) work arounds for this?  I know there are registry modifications for Excel (which I have implemented)... hopefully it is more straight forward for Adobe Reader.

Thanks,

Murray

TOPICS
Modern Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi ,

Please Navigate to Edit>Preferences>General>Uncheck the option"Open documents as new tabs in same window(requires restart).>Once unchecked please relaunch Reader.

You would not be able to see documents in separate windows.

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Hi @Мартин2861777268yg 

I hope you are doing well.

We appreciate your valuable feedback! We're always looking for ways to improve Acrobat, and we appreciate the time and effort you have taken to share your feedback.  

  

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you will be able to be more productive & get more out of Acrobat.

We are actively working on all the currently unavailable features, such as '

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Please Navigate to Edit>Preferences>General>Uncheck the option"Open documents as new tabs in same window(requires restart).>Once unchecked please relaunch Reader.

You would not be able to see documents in separate windows.

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the option "open documents as new tabs in same window" under general and am unsure what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it:

Click the 3 horizontal lines button at top left

-> Disable new Acrobat Reader

-> Restart

-> Edit>Preferences>General

-> Uncheck the option "Open documents as new tabs in the same window (requires relaunch)"

-> Restart

-> Like this comment, enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Мартин2861777268yg 

I hope you are doing well.

We appreciate your valuable feedback! We're always looking for ways to improve Acrobat, and we appreciate the time and effort you have taken to share your feedback.  

  

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you will be able to be more productive & get more out of Acrobat.

We are actively working on all the currently unavailable features, such as 'open cross-document links in the same window' and customizing these preferences. We will address them with the highest priority.

As you get more comfortable with the new interface, please contact us with specific questions on tools, features, or functionalities. We're happy to provide helpful resources and answers to your questions.

If your critical workflows are impacted, you can switch to the old UI from the "Menu" on the top left corner of  Windows OS and View Menu on MacOS. We will follow up with a detailed community-featured post, guiding you to familiarise yourself with the new interface and regular updates on upcoming changes.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the option "open documents as new tabs in same window" under general. May I know where else I can find this option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how many times I looked at that screen and missed that option...  THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the option "open documents as new tabs in same window" under general. May I know where else I can find this option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This eliminated a lot of frustration!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat DC and I do not have that option. How can I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can you see in the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines