• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove the right hand pane in Reader DC (LOCKED)

Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I remove the right hand pane (export pdf, create pdf, edit pdf, etc.) on Reader DC?  It takes up a quarter of my screen and I never use that stuff!

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

The July 2015 Acrobat & Reader DC update introduced a UI change for the right-hand pane. Now when you launch Acrobat/Reader DC, it will retain the last state (collapsed or open) of the tools in the Right-Hand Pane. You can find more details on this page

Acrobat Help | New features summary.

Edit: Just to clarify in Reader DC, it's a Preference located under Edit > Preferences > Documents "Open Tool pane for each document".

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 163 Replies 163
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on the latest version but as it turned just renaming the files doesn't fix it. You do need to physically move them out of the folder in order for it to work. I also needed to apply this across multiple terminal servers which is why the setting in the options would not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Workaround did not work for me. I am running Windows 10. Anyone can help me?

Love

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! It did. I was editing the EU Folder while there was a german one next to it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue with the last version and despite numerous angry forum thread same old shite rubbed in our face.

nice work tmmcentyre and adobe once again, f*ck u

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much, that was driving me nuts. I have Windows 7 at work and your instructions worked perfectly. I have a MacBook Pro at home that I will have to perform the same task on to rid me of the bar on that version of DC. I'm getting really irritated with Adobe's ego...this and the whole charging to use Creative Cloud is a joke. I'm keeping CS5.

You rock, thanks. \m/ \m/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for this helpful advice - works fine for me now too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To tmmcentyre:  This is pure genius!  Thank you so much for this workaround!!!

To Adobe:  Forcing this toolbox pane on us truly idiotic.  You cornered the market long ago.  Don't give some startup (who listens to their users) a reason to come along and supplant you.  Don't shove stuff down our throats!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome job!

Editing the .aapp is better option, since no "useful" features are lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for figuring out this work-around. It's too bad Adobe isn't listening much, as of yet. It is an absolute certainty, that untold thousands of inconvenienced users need to have this issue addressed and provided for in global settings rather than as a time consuming, per each and every document, necessary task, in order to simply use Adobe Reader comfortably. Adobe....? I hope you consider listening. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only have to move the Viewer.aapp file to a subfolder to remove the default right hand pane. I don't know about the app_center file but moving Home.aapp removes the home tab that displays the recent files, document cloud, etc. which I actually like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This technique didn't work for me. Thanks anyways. Glad it's working for others. I still need to remove the pane. It's useless to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AWESOME WORKAROUND!  Worked for me in Windows 10 Home.

Just realized today that I was having to close that thing every single time, multiple times a day.  I was kind of doing it unconsciously and suddenly those hundreds of times I'd done it over the last month that I've had this computer added up and I was unspeakably angry. 

All better now, though, thank you SO much!

ETA - Ha, looks like there's a permanent fix.  Crazy how unintuitive it is, but I'm happy I know about it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, you are amazing! How you figured this out I can't even begin to imagine. I created an account just to express my admiration. I could have lived with the stupid pane but you deserve a recognition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need for any workaround. The problem was corrected in July 2015, as explained by Lorri in her message #72 above, and in the link I posted in my messages#121 and 143.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tmmcentyre, I've just seen your solution to the tools panel problem with Adobe Reader DC, which worked fine and solved the problem. Many thanks indeed. I agree with everyone else that this version is a total abortion and a discredit to Adobe.

Are you also able to assist with another funny exhibited by this  program; it causes my AVG deactivator to start every time I open a pdf document and if I open several I have an array of flashing icons on the task bar which I have to close one by one. Is it more a function of AVG than Adobe (it doesn't happen with any other program) and do you know how can it be eliminated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New unrelated questions are best posted in a new thread, or they are likely to remain unread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tmmcentyre, I see this thread is quite old, any way, your advice was good for me, it seems that the awful instruments panel does not appear as default. At last! It is incredible that someone in Adobe wanted to impose this to people, with no possibility to change unless with the trick indicated by tyou.

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please rad my message #148. The problem has been corrected and no workaround is necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2016 May 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me mental, and your answer has worked. I am so pleased that I set up a STUPID Adobe account just so I could say "thank you"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2016 May 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read my message #148. The problem has been corrected and no workaround is necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant!  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really annoyed by this "upgrade". Useless UX Junk, why the hell do i have to tell the reader everytime to close that toolbar?

What are the designer and developers thinking at adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone an idea how to permanently disable the toolbar on mac osx?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines