• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do we stop Adobe Reader from asking "Do you want to save changes to '*.pdf' before closing? Yes, No, Cancel

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we open PDFs with Adobe Reader and then close them a pop up appears asking if we want to save the changes even when no changes are made. Is there a setting somewhere that will stop this from occuring?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are the files made/where do they come from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since there isn't a response yet, I can give an example of where such files come from.  It's affecting my workflow quite a bit.

I work with educational databases (PowerSchool, Scantron) that produce reports in PDF.  These files always trigger the "Save?" dialogue when I haven't edited. 

My workflow often includes viewing a large number of reports, so closing Adobe Reader takes a lot of clicking.  Your "press N" suggestion helps a lot (thanks).  Now I'm pressing Alt+F4 (close the program) then N repeatedly until all the tabs close.  It still takes some time, so if there's a way to figure out the issues with these files, I'm interested.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any way around it using just the free Reader. What can be done, though, is to use a script to close all the files without saving them. It can't close the application for you, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67,

Thanks for this suggestion too.  I'm going to give it a try while waiting for our vendors to update their reporting engines.  For anyone following this thread, I'm using this as a starting point: https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/creating-close-all-docs-menu-item .  It links to a pre-made script: "Close All Docs Menu Item" at Free Acrobat Automation Tools .  (First step: get access to the required folder from my IT dept...)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a problem file publicly? Often its a fault in the PDF generator. Maybe a dummy report with no real data. You'd need to put it on a file sharing site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks for looking at it.  Knowing the issue, perhaps I could bring it up with their support team.  Here's a dummy report:

Sample_PDF_Output.pdf - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the file. Here is a report.

It was reported that Acrobat and Acrobat Reader prompt to save these PDF files, even if there is no change.

This often happens if the file is damaged and needs repair.

The files were marked as made with PowerSchool 11.0.5.

The error is in the xref table. Entries must be exactly 20 bytes apart, but these are 21 bytes apart (each record is separated by a space, CR, LF sequence).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha!  Thank you!  Comparing with another file, I see that the issue is with the space before the CR.  I'll bring your report output to their support team. 

I appreciate your quick help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem from PDF's generated by our bank.  Obviously the bank is not going to change the way they're generating their PDFs because I'm encountering this error.  After dealing with this annoying pop-up over 250 times today, trying to disable Enhanced Security protected mode and so forth, I ultimately just downloaded the first competitor's solution that popped up in a Google search (Foxit Reader) and like magic: no more annoying problem.  I've used Adobe Reader and Acrobat since it first came out ... due to this problem I changed to their competitor.  The responses in this string have to do with "corrupted" files ... if that's the case why do other readers have no problem with the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because they probably just ignore it, or don't notice it at all. Reader is actively trying to fix it for you, which is why the file is edited and needs to be saved after you open it. I agree that it would be better to be able to disable this feature via the Preferences, but the fact that it's there in the first place is a good thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with every PDF that I open & I doubt that every one that I open is corrupt.  They are sent to me from different people. All I am doing is printing the PDF's. I noticed that this did not start happening until after I got a new computer with OS10. I do not edit any PDF's, I just print & do not save any of the PDF's. My situation is that I get the Fleet Vehicle usage forms and most of my people scan them in and e-mail them me, so of course I am getting new files every month. Even with files that I was using when I have my old computer OS07 was not doing this and I am using the same files on my new computer OS10 and I am having this problem. I think this is pretty ridiculous that there is no solution. It is like every time you get a new computer and download the Microsoft office stuff they are enabling or disabling feature that make you go in and either have to turn the off or turn them on again. It is getting annoying to where you do not want to get a new computer or update anything. I don't update my phone or tablet anymore as the update to the devices and the app keep getting more annoying. To make my keyboard so small that not even a baby would be able to type. I was forced to download a keyboard app to change the keyboard as there was only one option. Not all updates are good and should be thought about and tested by everyone. Like my phone I was told to stop doing the updates as the ones they were putting out are ment to make your phone go slower and make you think you need a new phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have found that my PDF documents open and close just fine until I PRINT the document, no changes, just print.  As soon as I print, the File save icon lights up and I can't close without saving.  In addition, I can't rename or move the original document until I completely close Acrobat.  Even with the document closed it says it can't complete the action till I close the document, I have to completely shut down Acrobat.  This only happens after I PRINT the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines