• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create bookmarks in adobe acrobat reader dc

New Here ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like this should be simple but obviously I'm missing something. 

I updated my Acrobat reader to DC.  I have the free desktop version, not premium or anything.  I can't figure out how to make a bookmark for the life of me.  Is that function no longer available for free users?  There's no icon to create a bookmark and I've looked all up and down through the navigation pane and there's no bookmarks tab anywhere.  Are bookmarks gone or just gone for free users?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Not possible. You need to get Acrobat to create bookmarks. The free Reader can't do it, and it won't display the Bookmarks panel for a file without bookmarks (as it can't be used for anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No previous version of Reader was able to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround:

Create a prefix such as bmk

At the place you want to insert bookmark - start a stickynote and include bmk as first word. You can add other comments if you want.

Close and remember to save when you exit.

To get boookmarks

On the Edit tab - select Advanced Search with radio button set to this document and a tick in the Include comments.

in the search box type bmk - all the bmks will appear with andy additional notes associated. Click on the selected one and you are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a GREAT workaround. Thanks.

I don't care if this is not the literally "correct" answer, it's the BEST answer because it solves my problem instead of simply telling me to spend the bucks on Pro or search for another PDF tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice workaround. However, in order to make this work I had to select the Settings wheel in the Find box and click on "Include Comments" there (selecting "Include Comments" in Advanced Search didn't work for Sticky Notes in my version of Reader, v2019.012.20040

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I'm years late but this is genuis. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

workaround - use one of the many other options out there to read pdfs and stop using Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was reading the PDF as a printed book, I could add as many bookmarks as I like by just inserting something between the pages or sticking a sticky note at the top to overlap the margin.  To suggest that this is not wanted or necessary with a PDF file is ludicrous, this is something you want to do time and time again. Most, if not all e-readers allow this, the Kindle apps all do it, why not the Adobe pdf reader app too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Foxit did it well, I used foxit for creating bookmark on scanned PDF file. It is very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2016 Mar 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatly load it in the Android version where you can do it - I've been bookmarking items in free reader on the train intending to utilise the entries when i get home to find that on the desktop version they are not visible - what a pain - luckily there are plenty of other alternatives. PDF XChange looks quite cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed foxit. Does bookmarks better than adobe acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to wonder if the Adobe people ever read these community fora entries. There are more recommendations for Adobe competitors than there is praise for Adobe products. You would think they would get the message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe already has a paid-for product that creates bookmarks. The free one doesn't.You are weldome to use free, third party tools to edit your pdf files but when they don't work as well as you'd hoped, you only have yourself to blame. If you are simply working on pdf files for yourself and don't have to share them, you'll probably be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They work brilliantly. Never had a problem with them and have used several, 0 compatability problems either. Adobes offerings are outdated and way too expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you read bookmarks already stored on the document in this (Acrobat) Reader DC on a Mac? Preview wqorks just fine for bookmarking, but my colleagues wityh Adobe Reader DC want to look at my marked up doc. I want to check to be sure the bookmarks will be readable for them. Do you know the answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader can display bookmarks, of course, provided they were created correctly, and Preview is known to be a very buggy application, so it test it carefully before proceeding to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is strongly recommended NOT to do any kind of PDF Editing with Preview, as it is well known for damaging and corrupting PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Sadly since Acrobat Reader (free version) can't create bookmarfks and apparently can't read bookmarks created in Preview (I tried, although it did mess up the PDF I had created bookmarks in, Acrobat Reader DC DIDN'T READ THEM either), what would you recommend? I'm certainly not spending silly $$ (Acrobat Pro) for this feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it with Acrobat Standard, which is cheaper than Acrobat Pro, or other third-party tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This site claims foxit, PDF Expert (Readdle) are at least as good as AcrobatPro plus cheaper (free-to-try, not free, though). I may be OK with that, just no subscription pricing. Sorry, Adobe.

As to your (and others') negartive comments about Preview. For a basic reader it's top notch, and fast. When you modify a PDF by saving it in Preview, the trouble starts. Preview does a fantastic job converting a PDF to other formats (JPG) and bookmarking (though in its own way, possibly, messing with the PDF structure). The workaround with that is to make a copy of the PDF as you like it and move on. Opens in Preview just fine. I keep Preview as the delegated PDF Reader on my machine. Just like some other anomalies in Adobe Acrobat that don't work 'just right', Preview has its glitches. On its own it does a pretty good job at what it does. It doesn't play well with 100% of other apps' PDF docs... Yet. Some would argue that the structure of the PDF being universal is the whole idea.
So hello Adobe, can you make the claim that a PDF saved in Acrobat in 1980 will open in DC and vice versa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview is a very bad application to use, and you do so at your own risk. Suffice to say it corrupts PDF forms immediately, just by opening them, and has been doing so for years. One would think a large software company like Apple would have been able to solve such a critical issue with their application, but I guess not...

As for your last question: the answer is yes. Acrobat DC can open PDF files that were created twenty years ago and it can create PDF files that can be opened using a computer that runs Acrobat 4 (released in 1999), if you can find such a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very funny, wiseguy!  🙄 

There was no such thing as PDF in 1980 and obviously no such thing as Acrobat.  Therefore there was no ability to save a PDF file in 1980. In fact, Adobe didn't exist in 1980. If what you are asking is whether PDF files created in Acrobat 1.0 back in 1993, PDF 1.0 files, will properly open in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or Acrobat Pro DC, the answer is that they do. Since you can no longer generate PDF 1.0 files in any version of Acrobat (or any other PDF generator for that matter) – PDF 1.3 is the lowest level of PDF currently available for PDF creation – no version of PDF created by Acrobat Pro DC can be read in Acrobat 1.0.

But of course, that is irrelevant since I doubt that you are going to find too many computers running Windows 3.x or MacOS 6 (on a Motorola 680x0 processor).

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dov,

OK, Dov. Hopefully we're stayong on topic here. Not meaning to hijack the topic.

So you made me look it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF Fair and hostorically accurate? I think so. If not feel free to update... 

I stand corrected on the dates. So now, the questions are:

1. Are the PDF doc's being edited/created in Acrobat, Acrobat Pro, or others at the latest version or some earlier one? 
  2. Is that latest standardized version (ISO 32000-2:2017 or later) and where can simple users like me find out? So it would be good to know they your doc uses formatting (and options?) in the public domain.
  3. Does the version being edited then change after being saved and updated to the latest version in your PDF editor? 
  4. Are bookmarks part of that specification and if so why aren't the other authors using it? I'm pretty sure Adobe does, hence go back to #1 ask. My guess is PDF 1.7 having proprietary portions would be where bookmarking started. True?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Dov, but will try to answer to the best of my knowledge:

1. That's up to the author. Acrobat can create PDFs ranging from version 1.3 onwards (not sure if it can create PDF 2.0 files yet, though).

2. The PDF format is managed by the ISO. The current version of the specs is 2.0 (ISO 32000-2:2017).

You can purchase the full specs here: https://www.iso.org/standard/63534.html

3. Unless you tell the application to change the PDF version when saving it, it should keep the same version as the original file had.

4. Bookmarks are defined in section 12.3.3 ("Document Outline") of the ISO specs, although it says that a "conforming reader may display [it] on the screen" (italics added by me). One could argue that therefore it is not mandatory to implement this feature, but it's certainly advisable.

Why other applications don't handle them correctly is something you'll need to ask the developers of those applications. At any rate, they are certainly not something proprietary of Adobe, nor were they added in version 1.7. I know that Acrobat 5 already had them, and that was way before the 1.7 specs were published.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a shame! A reader which you can't bookmark. Adobe must think about it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends on what you mean by "bookmark". You can't add "Bookmarks" which are essentially shortcuts to different parts of the pdf file but you can "mark your place" where you left off (which is what some may consider a "bookmark") by going to Edit>Preferences>Documents>Open settings and selecting "Restore last view settings when reopening documents".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines