Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to display File Name instead of Title

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I was surprised seeing that Adobe Reader DC is showing the "title" of a PDF in the top bar (above the menu). But actually, nobody is using this functionality when creating PDFs out of Word for instance. (Used Version: 2019.10.20069)

How can I change it back in Adobe Reader DC to just see the "filename" of the currently opened document?

Thanks, guys, for your thoughts and help

Cheers, Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Adobe is aware of this and they say they will fix it if enough people request it. Please go to this link and vote for the feature: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/36475057-add-option-to-use-file-name-instead-of-title-in-th

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Don't know if anybody said it already, didn't read all responses, but this is the sollution.  Go to edit, open preferences, Choose documents and under open settings click "Always use filename as document title".  

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader has done this for more than 20 years. If there is a title it wins. Many people quite like it. But apparently you can stop Word filling in the title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a setting of the file, not the application. You can change how it behaves in Acrobat (or maybe in Word, before exporting it), but not in Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really annoying in a lot of cases. For example, all the credit-card billing PDFs I download from my bank have the same "document title".  Obviously I have no control over the PDF creation. So when I have 2 or 3 of them open, picking the one I currently want to view via Alt-tab or whatever is impossible.  I don't see why there isn't a Preference setting for viewing title vs filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is, but it's a property of the file, and Reader can't set it. You should ask your bank to change it on their end when creating the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be a feature of the program. No matter what the file says, the program should be able to display the file name along with the title (it really should do both to begin with).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is aware of this and they say they will fix it if enough people request it. Please go to this link and vote for the feature: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/36475057-add-opt...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adobe, please remove this double naming of filename AND title, it creates so much confusion. And what is very irritating is that most people do not know about it or DO know, like me, but do not take the effort to populate both, resulting in NOT knowing which file is which when several tabs are open simultaneously ; or having funny names, one of my contractor had MOST OF his documents titled "financial template": who is the bozo: them, or you?

Or put BY DEFALUT the filename inside the title, still keeping the possibility to retitle manually

Adobe Acrobat Reader v2021.001.20135 is its name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if anybody said it already, didn't read all responses, but this is the sollution.  Go to edit, open preferences, Choose documents and under open settings click "Always use filename as document title".  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this but it isn't working. Does this only work when creating a pdf? If so, is there a way to "create" a pdf that's already created so it will use the filename as the document title?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!  thank you, rheakoch!!!!  So helpful!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, you win the Internet for the Day Award.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for Adobe Acrobat XI Version 11.0.23
Go to drop-down menu "File", under Properties > Initial View > [Windows Options] Show(Select): "File Name" and then Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same issue with Foxit also. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not able to edit the previous reply.

I think Foxit has the answer, https://kb.foxit.com/hc/en-us/articles/360061571672-Why-cannot-get-file-name-displaying-when-open-a-...

But I cannot check it off. There must be a similar option in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines