• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export comments as plain text from Adobe Reader

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use Adobe Reader to prepare my review of a scientific manuscript (PDF). I have made

extensive comments using the commenting functions in Reader. But I have to upload these comments

as text to the online journal site. After hours of looking through manuals and online I can find no way

to export the comments other than as an *.fdf file which appears to be of no use. I can't upload the

original PDF manuscript that contains the comments because the journal site's software doesn't seem to

be able to handle them. If I try to export the file as a Microsoft Word file, it doesn't include the comments.

Once again Adobe's excessively coercive approach to trying to force us all to only use Adobe products

makes it completely useless. Unless there is a solution I'm missing, I will now have to duplicate hours of

work to rebuild my review in some other product that allows me to get comments out in simple text form.

Anyone know of a work around that won't requires additional hours of my time?

Message was edited by: Mod, Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Sign to Acrobat Reader

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe gave away PDF technology and it is now owned by an ISO (International Standards Organization), so IMHO, they do not have an "excessively coercive approach" to use their products! There are other companies who make PDF readers, and you are welcome to use any of them if they suit you better. (I am a volunteer and do not work for Adobe.)

Adobe Reader is free, and is limited with what it can do. I did not find a solution in the Reader. Maybe someone else will.

But you can do it with the paid version, and you can download a free trial (or subscribe for one month). That should allow you enough time to do this if it's a one-time thing. And it will save you those hours of time!

Here's how:

1. From the Comments panel, choose Create Comments Summary... (this is not in the free Reader, I checked)
  2. In the next screen, choose Comments only (the third option). This will make a new PDF with just the comments.
  3. Now choose File > Export to > Microsoft Word

You will need to delete the title lines, but you will have your comments.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. Sorry for dis-ing Adobe incorrectly. I stand corrected.

Edgar DeYoe, PhD

[Personal info deleted by moderator. This is a public forum.]

“In the mountains we forget to count the days”

Chinese proverb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've developed a (paid-for) script that allows you to do just that, using the free Reader: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Reader -- Create Comments Summary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How disingenuous to offer a solution, but then charging $60 for it, and that one finds out after only after having to click twice before the "solution" becomes available .... for $60. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It clearly says in my post it's a paid-for product, and it clearly states on the product page, at the very top, that it costs $50 (not 60) per license. Please read more carefully before making false accusations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How disingenuous to offer a solution...

By @DuanvdWinSA

The Community guidelines allow for this. Here is what they say.

janee_1-1628369955344.png

janee_0-1628369829186.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edgard7289186 ,

Will either of these solutions work for you using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not what was asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reply by email it includes your full personal details! Do not do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can install the "Comment Report" plugin which is part of my free abracadabraTools:

https://www.abracadabrapdf.net/utilitaires/utilities-in-english/abracadabratools_en/

It reports all comments in the document in a text file that you will just have to copy-paste.

And, please, stop talking about "coercive approach" when you are offered free software and stop talking about dishonesty when you are asked to pay for a specific need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines