• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to highlight in solid color instead of a circle around the text?

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I just found that the highlighting tool is working differently recently on my computer. It usually highlights the text with solid colors, like in pic 1. But now it can only highlight the text with a circle around the text, like in pic 2. I wonder if anyone has the same problem and how to change it back.

Thanks!

Pic 1

WeChat Screenshot_20201101173632.png

Pic 2

WeChat Image_20201101173837.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Hi again - as I wrote this comment, it started working again. The only thing that I did in between was to log in to Adobe, in order to post here. Maybe that's the problem? Have you tried logging in? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it allow you to select each letter individually, or can you only do a "free form" selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can select each letter individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks too precise to be the freeform highlighter tool. Indeed, it looks like the regular highlighter tool is behaving unusually. I'm not experiencing that same behavior.

What version of Acrobat are you using? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how to check its version. It seems to be "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (20.012.20048).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like either some of the Highlight property defaults are set improperly, or it's a bug in Acrobat. Can you post a file with the hollowed out highlight?     

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to, but it seems I cannot upload a file to this comment area... Any idea of how I can share it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can attach it to the original message using the tiny paperclip icon at the bottom when you edit it, or upload it to a file-sharing website (like Dropbox, Google Drive, Adobe Cloud, etc.), generate a share link and then post it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yh1Wn445_B0M2rWsIzy3RPM6x2ljSIxT/view?usp=sharing 

Try this link! But in the google drive, the highlighting looks different than in Adobe reader... Let me know how it appears on your computer. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my system on both Reader and Pro, the highlights all look normal and have normal properties. 

There must be something wonky with the Acrobat install on your system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright. Thank you! maybe I should try to reinstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a repair first. You could also try rebooting your system, that used to be the universal fix. A full reinstall is painful. 

Good Luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
We tried but not able to reproduce the issue in-house.
Could you please provide the following info?
-Does it occur with all files or specific to some files?
-Is it always reproducible or intermittent?
-Is it possible to provide some sample files ?

Regards,
Arvind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not OP but experiencing the same issue. Not specific but rather occurring with all files opened in adobe reader. So far it has been always reproducible, though this appears to be a new issue because last week it was working fine. Attached two sample files in which the highlights appear to be circles in my version of adobe, as well as a screen capture so you can see how it looks if it doesn't show the error in those files. 

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:063e303e-5c78-4c98-8ccb-3fd99eec68a5

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:545ac94e-7ce5-42fb-96d0-118a1cfe96a7 

adobescreencapt.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also it is functioning normally on my Lenovo laptop but not on PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arvind,

Thanks for reaching out.

Yes, it occurs to all the documents I open in Adobe and has been like this since I posted this issue. The previously highlighted areas are shown normally in a solid color, but when I want to create new highlights, they are all in circles.

You can try this document to see the issue - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yh1Wn445_B0M2rWsIzy3RPM6x2ljSIxT/view?usp=sharing 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem. Any solutions yet? Tried to repair installation, it did not help. It's really annoying, as this "highlight" is not really helping me see any part of the text better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again - as I wrote this comment, it started working again. The only thing that I did in between was to log in to Adobe, in order to post here. Maybe that's the problem? Have you tried logging in? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I tried in signed-in/signed-out state, works fine for me in both cases.

Regards,

Arvind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! it's really funny, but I was signed in, so I signed out and then signed in again and the highlighting is back to normal! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I tried to log in and it works! Now it has solid highlighting as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a bug to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem, balloon highlights, Help; Check for Updates; Install updates; restart with or without signing in. Fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue.... i quite out of Adobe Acrobat and restarted it was working properly again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines