Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make Clickable Phone Numbers in PDFs

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am creating Word Documents and converting them to PDFs. We put contact information in them such as names, phone numbers, email address.

I have already got email address to work, with the hyperlinks and that converts fine to PDFs, but I am having problem with phone numbers.

I have gone to hte hyperline and in the address typed tel:+0000000000 (of course switching out numbers), but it always attaches to a document path.  When I try to click on it in a PDF, nothing happens, but it shows clickable.  Mainly want this for people with smart phones to dial the number.

The whole concept works in Word on a smart phone, but we lose design and pages.  That is why converting to PDFs.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing like that is supported in PDF or Acrobat/Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only similar thing I've encountered are hyperlinks on top of a phone number that launch Skype and attempt to call that number. In fact, I've even developed a script that automatically converts plain phone-numbers in a PDF to such links, but you have to have Acrobat to run it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this trying to solve my own problem.  And it is possible, at least now.  See below syntax when you right click on the number in Word and click on "Hyperlink...", I then saved as a PDF, emailed to myself, saved into iBooks, and tested just fine!  Don't know if anyone even still needs help with this...but I did!
Clickable.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

method of tlb568 works on Android! I used word to save to pdf, and then viewed the pdf using acrobat on an android phone. Clicking the link loads the phone number in the phone app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect !! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apologies for being 9 years late in providing this answer, but I just found out today from Adobe Support that tel: hyperlinks will work in PDF documents, but only if you uncheck the two highlighted checkboxes in Preferences - Security (Enhanced) in the Acrobat applicatiion. Disable-these-to-enable-tel-links.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines