• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open pdf files from OneDrive not in browser

New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Office 365 and when I click on pdf files in OneDrive it always opens in the browser but I would like it to open with the associated program instead. It works with other files, the .doc opens in Word.
I have changed settings in the library to open in the client application.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , PDF and browsers , Share or review PDFs , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Asma

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, when you click on pdf files in OneDrive it always opens in the browser. We need some more information for a better understanding:

- Would you mind sharing which browser is opening the PDF file?

- What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and the OS you are using?

To check the version of the application go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates and reboot the computer once.

Please try to set Acrobat Reader as the default application as described in the help page - https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/not-default-pdf-owner-windows10.html (For Windows) and see if that helps.

If you are on Mac OS

1. Single click a PDF file you wish to open or any PDF file in general while holding the control key. Then select 'Get Info' from the menu you've opened.

2. Under the heading 'Open with,' the current default application for opening PDF's is listed.

3. Click on the application listed to open a menu displaying additional applications. In this menu locate the most recent version of Adobe Reader. If Reader is not listed or an old version of the software is listed select 'Other' from the bottom of the menu.

4. Navigate through your Applications folder to locate the icon for the Adobe Reader application and click to highlight it. Click the Add button to select Reader.

5. Back in the information window click the 'Change All' button so that all subsequent PDF files will be opened by the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

6. Click the Continue button to confirm.

Let us know if you experience any trouble and need more help.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to give you a context 

Asma5EDB_0-1620636399544.png

My colleague has shared this pdf with me through one drive. And instead of opening in the application PDF it opens in google chrome browser. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the OneDrive file to your computer's hard drive.

Open Acrobat.  Go to File > Open > browse to file on your hard drive.

Optionally from Windows File Explorer, right click on PDF file and select Open With... Select your desired PDF viewer.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first option removes the file from the cloud, which is a no-go for my company. I simply want to open a PDF from the Microsoft Cloud directly in the Adobe app, just like can be done with MS office files. It's possible through synced drives/file explorer. I just want to be able to do it in the browser as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe you should reach out to your organization's IT dept for assistance.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution for this yet?

I've attached the workaround steps that I've had to go through. Being able to have PDF's open immediately in the desktop client would be extremely helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines