Exit

Issues opening multiple PDF's

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We recently updated our machines to Adobe Reader DC 19.08.20081

Simultaneously we updated Windows 10 to 1803.

After these updates we have discovered an issue opening more than one PDF at a time.

Users can open the first PDF normally. Once the reader is open, however a second PDF cannot be opened by clicking on the PDF. Double clicking will add the PDF the to recent files in Windows, but it does not create a new tab or window in Adobe Reader.

What does work: A user can open a subsequent PDF in the File>Open menu, by going to the Home tab and double clicking on a PDF in the recent files, or by dragging a PDF file into the reader.

I have also discovered that by disabling Protected Mode it will work normally, however we would rather not disable this.

I added the location of the files to the Privileged locations, but this also does not allow the files to open correctly. All the workarounds continue to work.

We tested this version of Adobe in a previous version of Windows and did not have the issue, so it seems to be something in Windows that Adobe is not playing nicely with. We confirmed this by testing a previous version of Adobe on a device with Windows 10 1803 and could duplicate the issue. So it's definitely something in 1803 that is breaking Adobe Reader.

Any assistance resolving this would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adamn,

We're sorry for the trouble you had with Adobe Reader, we have the latest patch available for Acrobat/Reader 19.010.20064 Planned update, December 11, 2018

Please install the latest patch from the help menu of Adobe Reader>Check for updates, reboot the machine after updating Adobe Reader and check.

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

I did install 19.010.20064 and this does not resolve the issue. Issue is only present on machines running Windows 10 1803 or 1809 update. Machines running 1703 or 1709 updates do not have the issue.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I also experience the issue and is still doesn't seems to be fixed with latest versions of adobe and Windows 10 1903

Any idea when we will get a fix ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anand Sri as an Adobe employee can you please assist, this is in the current version and appears to be when on DFS, as it is a free product there is limited support can you escalate this to development please?  Im sure alot of company like us are now considering moving from Adobe reader due to the poor response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Did you get a fix for this?  We are also having this issue with our 1809 machines, anything prior to that was no issue.  We also do not want to disable the Protected mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deborahosborn,

We're sorry for the trouble you had, would you mind sharing more details about the issue you are experiencing?

What is the version of Adobe Reader DC installed? To identify, please take help from the article https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html

Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader DC 19.012.20040 installed, check for any pending updates from the help menu of Adobe Reader, select check for updates, reboot the machine after updating Adobe Reader and check.

Let us know how it goes and share your observations.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the latest version installed Adobe Reader DC 19.012.20040, this occurs only in Windows version 1809, we recently upgraded from 1709, I have tested on this version with no issue. Can you explain the impact of turning off Protected Mode? This does fix the issue but I do not want to remove security at this stage.  The issue is that when doubling click on a pdf only one document will open, it is not possible to open this way, the only way around it is to go file open to display a second tab, this is not really an appropriate work around unless the end user is aware.

Thanks

deborah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I encounter the same problem.

I am in Windows 10 1809 and adobe reader dc 2019.012.20040.

I realized that the problem only occurs for documents that are stored on a network drive. There is no problem if I copy the documents locally.

Disabling protected mode will fix the problem but I do not want to remove this security. We can also make file > open or even drag ad drop a document into the window but this is not practical for users.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anand do you have any update for me please this is still an issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

We have a new update available for Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 19.21.20047. Please try to update the application. Go to Help > Check for Updates. For more information about the new release, please use the help article https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Let us know if that works

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Despite the installation of the latest version 19.21.20048, the problem is still present for opening multiple documents that are stored on a network drive.

This is a real problem for us, we are now migrating massively to Windows 10 1809 our 70 000 computers and the problem will impact a lot of users. I hope there will be a quick solution.

Thanks

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

We are facing same issue at our company.

We went from Windows 10 1709 to Windows 10 1809.

Exactly same problem as mentioned above.

Problem does not to be 100% for all users.

I head from our support team that this use to apear on a random occasion before the upgrade to Windows 10 1809.

The workaround they found and been using is turn off the security in Security (Enhanced)

We wan a permanent souliton whitout turning off the Security.

Another side effect we face by turning off the the Protected Mode or Enabled Enhanced Security is when we open PFD from our Sharepoint portal it opens Two PFD off same file instead off One example when it is not changed in Security Enhanced options. This might be a bugg in our enviroment but the core problem is user cant open more then one PDF when user single click the files in folders.

Regards

Supes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Has anyone got a solution for this issue yet?  Besides turning off Protected mode.  This is a huge issue for us.  Please Adobe Pros can you offer any assistance?  I contact MS and they said not a MS issue.

Thanks

Deborah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appears to be dfs related refer to this thread https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2647793

Adobe when will a patch be provided please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you deborahosborn.

You are right, we are having the same issue.

Clients with Windows 10 1809 or more (or Win2019) trying to access a PDF via a DFS that is stored on a Windows server 2019 server are not able to open more than 1 pdf....

Unfortunatelly, I can't post on the thread you mentionned to ask some news.... It looks like there is no news... ? Adobe is working on that case... ? Please help.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, I have exactly the same problem. has this been resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No new updates, you can drag multiple files into Reader and this allows more open tabs but still annoying as staff do no know to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes unfortunately no news..... who will help us.... it's amazing. We are talking about Adobe not an unknown company...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have just updated to version 20.9.20065.55827 and unfortunately the problem is still present, it is hopeless and very annoying for the users of our 70,000 computers.

Has anyone found a solution?

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have Adobe installed, I have noticed that it is impossible for me to open multiple PDFs as well. I usually would select multiple PDFs and hit enter and they would all open in Explorer. This no longer happens. No matter which program I use. This is a Windows issue, not an issue with Adobe Acrobat, and should be addressed to Microsoft, its really frustrating that they seem to be messing with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
We have just updated Adobe reader to version 20.12.20043.3217 / (2020.012.20043) and the issue seems to be resolved.
We can again open multiple PDF files from network drive and UNC path.

Regards

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I confirm that with version 2020.012.20041 (file version 20.012.20041.1044 and base =20.3072) it's working ! Thanks !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution in another thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/can-not-open-more-than-one-pdf-file/m-p/9660900

In a nutshell do this:

Edit \ Preferences \ Security (Enhanced) \ Sandbox Protections - Disable 'Enable protected mode at startup'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this works, fantastic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines