• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

June 2024 PDF Link Accessibility Error with Screen Readers in Reader

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of 6/18/2024 I've noticed that both Jaws/NVDA Screen readers are not interacting with Links in Adobe Reader accurately. The screen reader links list is accurate, the links are read by the screen reader correctly if you are doing say all command or navigating with arrows/some commands. The issue is when you use the tab key to navigate between links. The links either do not read or a link gets repeated for multiple links.

I've run all the latest updates for all programs to try and resolve this. 
It's happening on multiple computers, also an issue for others in an accessibility group.
We've tested multiple PDFs both converted from MS Word and InDesign and get the same error. 
We've tested PDFs that were converted recently and PDFs that were made accessible in 2020 (ruling out any conversion issues that would have happened from a Office/InDesign update). 

It seems to be an Acrobat issue that needs to be Resolved? 
PS: The Acrboat Pro Update 24.002.20857 has disabled the scroll wheel of a mouse when using the left/right panes. Ex: you can no longer scroll through the tags tree. 
TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MeenakshiNegi  You helped me with a previous accessibility issue, any knowledge of what Adobe is doing to fix this? Or are they aware? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've confirmed the latest Acrobat update is to blame.
Does anyone know an easier way to uninstall and reinstall Acrobat?
I had to do a three step process.
1: Uninstall
2: Use this link to install a version from 2022 (https://community.adobe.com/.../where-to.../m-p/14552223)
3: then update to the May latest release https://www.adobe.com/.../con.../dccontinuousmay2024.html...
Now everything is back to normal!  It would be nice if there was a one-stop shop to install a later version for times like this! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a bust, after restarting my computer it automatically updated to the latest release and the problems are back 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to disable the Acrobat Update Service that runs as a service on Windows computers (I"m assuming you're on Windows).

Pariah Burke | Trainer, Author, Instructional Designer | InDesign, InCopy, Illustrator, Photoshop, Firefly, Audition, Canva, Generative AI | Accessibility / Section 508, Publishing, Generative AI, EPUB, IFX, more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newest development: If you are testing with jaws and use the tab key to navigate a PDF it seems to get "stuck" after you tab a few times/a few pages. It will then not recognize other commands. Ex "There are no headings" "there are no graphics" (when there are). pushing the esc key seems to get out of the glitch and it will recognize headings/graphics etc with the regular commands. Moral of the story avoid the tab key with the current update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AITester1,

Thanks for writing to us.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you regarding the issue observed.

We have addressed both the issues at our end and our engineering team is working on it to provide a seamless experience.

Thanks again for your patience.

Regards,
Ayush Jain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to revert to the Classic UI: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/acrobat-2023-how-to-revert-to-classic-gui-user-in...
Consider the "new Acrobat" as a beta version, many features are still missing or half-implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER DISCUSSIONS]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AITester1,

While we get the bug resolved you can traverse through links using alternate methods

1. use the arrow key down on the document- this will read the links for the tagged document

2. use hotkey - 'u'. this hotkey would read the links in the document

please let us know if this works for your document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, do you know when this will be fixed? And is there currently away of going through the form fields and typing in them. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems reader version 20857 and screen readers too. I've tried JAWS 2024, JAWS 2023, NVDA 2024, Windows 10 Narrator and VoiceOver to no avail.

I can't fill in forms, specially textboxes, textareas o radiobuttons. If I use tab the reader doesn't read out loud any of the fields. If I use the arrows they read the field names, but I can't interact with them, I can't write anything.

I never had any problems with those pdf forms until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Javier,

Thanks for reporting this issue.
The team is investigating this on priority.
We will keep you posted on the investigations of the issue.
Please note that we are actively working on fixing the accessibility issues in Acrobat.

Regards,
Ayush Jain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the screen reader doesnt read any links out anymore and doesnt automatically go into form mode. Can you please adivse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for writing to us.

The issue was identified and resolved

The links issue will be fixed in the upcoming updates.

Regards,

Ayush Jain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, which issue was resolved? the same issue seems to keep happening with not tabbing through the interactive form? do you know when we will have the update? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines