• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest Version 11.0.10 - RunOnce Entry for Speed Launcher

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Pretty stupid that the only way I can submit a bug report on a problem with your software is to sign up for this forum and 50 clicks later post a topic which may or may not be reviewed by Adobe.

2) Just downloaded the latest version and on two computers, Speed Launcher is adding a HKCU RunOnce entry over and over again and assigning a random number to it.  This is then of course alerting WinPatrol who is monitoring new startup programs and flags it every time I reboot.  Looks to be an error and not intentional design because a.) it shouldn't be in RunOnce if it's meant to be there and b.) the details aren't correctly populated such as publisher name etc.

So is this a bug or new design... if it's new design, how do I shut it off because I don't need a random number popping into my registry every time I reboot

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 24, 2014 Dec 24, 2014

Hi all,

We have rolled out a fix for this issue.

Please log off and log back in to your machine and the issue should be resolved automatically. In case that does not work, please manually run the msi installer posted here (may require reboot).

For details, please refer to the KB article here: Multiple RunOnce keys created 11.0.10 and 10.1.13 Acrobat | Reader

Please let us know if you still face any issues.

Thanks,

Ashu Mittal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Reader DC, and Acrobat Professional 10.

When I initially turn on my computer, first thing in the morning, THAT's when the "speed-up launcher" starts up - at START-UP. So everything else I'm trying to do online, in a browser, or any other program (other than Adobe Reader or Acrobat) gets stalled, while the "speed-up launcher" is trying to start (and then I look at the task manager, see that's what's going on, and "end process").

If there is a more current thread about this, I'd appreciate a link. I looked pretty extensively, to finally get to this one. But maybe I missed something. Anyway, thank you for your prompt replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... Speed Launcher is starting at boot time (which is normal, and for most people, painless). It clearly isn't painless for you. What exactly do you see about other apps getting stalled? That doesn't seem to match previous problems described (though I may have missed it). I don't think there's a current thread, it isn't (except for the period with the bug) a common issue, so far as I can see.

This speed up launcher. Do you have any info on where it is (to distinguish, for example, between being part of the current Reader and the truly ancient Acrobat X Pro, for which there will certainly be no fixes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to wait until tomorrow am to be able to send you a screenshot showing the two instances of speed-launcher trying to run on start-up, as well as the other two acrobat manager-type programs (which I leave alone). I had seen in other forum threads, much earlier ones, that people were asking if they could "disable" speed-launcher launching on start-up, to which the answer at that time was "no."

Tangentially, you're probably aware that upgrading from Acrobat 10, even to 11, costs $450. Even if there were a fix for that program, not worth the $450 (which I don't have to spare anyway).

In the a.m. I always launch a browser, my gmail, a couple of tabs. Of course, Chrome is a huge energy hog, but not much, if any worse, than Firefox. Plus, I've just had to accept the fact of it's energy-hogging, long since. Also, I usually want to open MSWord. Even just those two programs get stalled - delayed open, even preventing me getting even back to chrome & gmail, when "speed-launcher" kicks in. I do have a fairly old machine, and I'm running Win7. The memory is rather limited (and upgrading it--requires a new motherboard--any further than I have would require a lot more expense).

However, it was only recently, maybe in the last month, that the "speed-launcher" started kicking in on start-up.

Isn't there some hk registry key I can safely delete, forever?

I wish Adobe would give people an option. I read in a forum concerning all this that the user thought Adobe added this so they could boast faster times, presumably to their investors or whatever. Otherwise, why would Adobe NOT offer an option to disable it running on start-up, or just permanently disabling the thing. I really don't care as much about Reader or Acrobat starting slowly - I don't use them that often - as much as I care about being able to quickly get to work in the morning, and not having to keep an eye on the Task Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the problem came in a month ago, and Acrobat 10 hasn’t had a change in over 3 years, I think we can safely say some other software is involved too. I hope we can help you find out which.

Did you install any other apps just before this started? Especially utilities, antivirus? The speed up tool exists only because some virus checkers have a big slow down effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, no other apps. February 1 I did install a new anti-virus, which takes a lot of memory. But I accepted that I had to live with that. (Frontier Secure, just fyi). Anyway, I'd rather have the slower boot-time for adobe reader and acrobat, than to have to put up with the speed-launcher launching on start-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the screenshots, from the Windows Task Manager, that show the two instances of Adobe Speed Launcher popping in on start-up.
Task manager within 15 minutes of turning on computer, MSWord, Chrome with mail tab open:

Then, about a minute after that, speed launcher pops in – 2 instances – one for Acrobat_sl.exe *32, a second one for reader_sl.exe *32 :

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Where do you go from there? Those two processes appear, as they do for everyone. They are using a really, really tiny amount of your memory and your CPU is not at 100%. So, how do you identify the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I understand, it's not that the speed launchers use a small amount of memory once they're running, but it's when they are starting up they slow me down, as far as my being able to use the programs, browser, I want to use first thing when I turn on my computer (and then of course, I still have to wait for the other background programs to load).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you say you understand they are slowing you down... but have you done tests to prove this? Or are you just finding them and assuming they are behind your problems because some web pages say so?

Tests, for example, timing things with them running, and then timing if you kill them as soon as they appear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I did test, inasmuch as my computer slowed down (and programs got stalled) once the SpeedLaunchers popped in, showed up in my Task Manager. Then when I killed them, computer sped up again AND my browser and MS Word were no longer stalled. Anyway, assuming you have no fix anyway, to be able to stop the things running on start-up, I don't have much interest in doing any more in-depth testing. I do appreciate your attention, your prompt replies and inquiries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines