• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mouse/cursor changes in reader window to a specific Reader mouse/cursor

New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and I am not referring to the distinction between hand and select tool. I am referring to another problem:

I have set my own cursor scheme for Windows (Lefty Scheme) in Windows system settings. Every application accepts that but Adobe Reader. Whenever using the reader the mouse changes from a white arrow pointing to the upper right corner (lefty scheme) to a black arrow pointing to the upper left corner.

How can I change this? I want the Reader to use the Windows System setting.

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Version 1709, OS Buils 16299.431 and Adobe Reader 2018.011.20038

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Hi Deperateuser,

Sorry for the delay in response.

There is no option by default to change the cursor settings in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

This is an as designed behavior. The cursor does not use the Windows System settings.

If you wish you may fill a feature request for this over here Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deperateuser,

Sorry for the delay in response.

There is no option by default to change the cursor settings in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

This is an as designed behavior. The cursor does not use the Windows System settings.

If you wish you may fill a feature request for this over here Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but why?  This kinda seems like insanity to force a user to use the exact cursor you want them to use.  And I obviously don't mean the fuction specific changes.  All operating systems have APIs for cursor interactions.  Why would you request your developers to design a whole new system of cursors in the application, ESPECIALLY when it is an application for READING dcuments.  This is insanity and a complete waste of resources.  Glad I paid hundreds of dollars to you guys over the years for great features like cursor disrespect.  And why a black cursor?  I don't use a Mac and I don't want it to feel that way either.  Seriously, what is going on over there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use one of the many pdf apps to bypass Adobe's lack of compassion for those like me who cant see the cursor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

more than a pain its a real issue for those with poor eyesight who cant see the cursor. As a monopoly Adobe is completly uncarring. I use one of the many pdf apps to bypass Adobe's lack of compassion for those like me who cant see the cursor. Due to this one issue I use alternate apps for all of Adobe https://bstrategyhub.com/adobe-competitors-alternatives/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am adding my voice to this very odd and serious problem. I have 3 monitors and have a terrible time finding the cursor when using Adobe Acrobat. I can hit the Cntrl button to "ping it", but even that is not very efficient. I am constantly going back and forth between software and monitors and have to play "find the cursor" every time I use your product. Ugh. Please, please change this. How hard could it be? Thanks for your consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use one of the many pdf apps to bypass Adobe's lack of compassion for those like me who cant see the cursor. I use alternate apps for all of Adobe https://bstrategyhub.com/adobe-competitors-alternatives/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not only an inconvenience for some users but an ADA-compliance issue. I have an especially large cursor set up to help with my older eye sight, but Adobe's forced cursor makes PDF use difficult, at best. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep it is more than a pain its a real issue for those with poor eyesight who cant see the cursor. As a monopoly Adobe is completly uncarring. I use one of the many pdf apps to bypass Adobe's lack of compassion for those like me who cant see the cursor. Because of this one issue I use alternate apps for all of Adobe https://bstrategyhub.com/adobe-competitors-alternatives/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, it's baffling why they decided to use their own cursor scheme. I've changed my settings on Windows to make it easier for me to see and Acrobat basically undoes all my customisation, it's a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

more than a pain its a real issue for those with poor eyesight who cant see the cursor. As a monopoly Adobe is completly uncarring. I use one of the many pdf apps to bypass Adobe's lack of compassion for those like me who cant see the cursor. I use alternate apps for all of Adobe https://bstrategyhub.com/adobe-competitors-alternatives/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More likely Adobe would need to be pay for the right to use Windows *.dll or pay additional monies for the validation process!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TLDR: windows does not charge to access the API that allows the application to change the cursors AND the amount of development work to display a custom cursor is minimal.

That's not true at all. In Windows there is a 'SetCursor' function in the User32.dll. Not only does it NOT require some kind of license code to be able to interact with the User32.dll, but it doesn't matter what programming language you are using, to change the cursor displayed on the user's screen, you have to use the User32.dll function.

Using this function you can tell it to set the cursor to one of the predefined / managed / native Windows Cursors - or you can create a custom cursor object from any image file. You then register that Cursor object in memory, and whenever you want to display that cursor object, you call the SetCursor function and send in a memory pointer to your custom cursor image.

Then in your UI code, you just monintor the mouse move event, you get the current location of the mouse and you just do a small bit of logic to determine if mouse is over "this area" then display cursor X, else if it is over "that area" then display cursor Y and so on. This is maybe a whole workday (8 hours) (at most) to handle cursors in your application code. It also takes non-development time to get a Graphics Designer to create your custom cursors - but even that should be a small amount of time. So at most this is a trivial task in any application anyone builds - especially a "professional" / commercial application like Adobe.

Your application code has access to the native cursors as well - meaning you don't have to use a custom cursor you created yourself, you can do SetCursor and point to the native cursor that meets your needs. In the application I build there's only one tiny area in all the software where none of the native cursors 'convey' the 'meaning' I want, so we use a custom cursor there. It's literally a line of code to load the cursor file into memory, then just a couple more lines of code that says 'mouse is over X, SetCursor = my custom cursor' and then 'mouse is no longer over X, SetCursor = default system cursor'.

So users here saying Adobe has wasted a bunch of time to set custom cursors, it's practically just a blip in time that they've spent on it. What's more baffling is the fact that won't spend a 'blip' of time to disable their custom cursor (or even provide a user option to use native cursors vs their cursors). Literally the code for that would boil down to:

1. If userCursorPreference = System, then call SetDisplayedSystemCursor(mouseLocation, cursorType)

2. If userCursorPreference = Adobe, then call SetDisplayedAbobeCursor(mouseLocation, cursorType)

Or something to that effect. Again, trivial amount of work.

I just upscaled and changed the color my cursor and went into my app and into the area that has the custom cursor, and without changing any code, my custom cursor is automatically upscaled. It's ignoring the windows cursor color, but at least it's huge - and I had to change nothing. Now in my application, we took the graphic designed image (I want to say our base was PNG file), and then created a '.cur' file - this is a special image file type specifically for Cursor images. Creating custom cursor files was also minimal effort: you can find plenty of free / non-free applications / websites that can load a image file and spit a cursor file. So when I say minmal effort, way back when, I just used some 3rd party app to generate the cursor file - took all of 5 minutes.

I am guessing the reason my custom cursor scales correctly & automatically is because that's the file I am loading into memory. If I were to instead load a BMP file or something of that nature, it may not scale automatically. I'd have to experiment.

Either that or Adobe is actively making their cursor ignore the Windows setting. That actually seems like that'd be way more work. My guess is they are just not using .cur files and instead standard image files which are rendering at their fixed width & height.

To honor the custom user color, I'd probably have to get the user's cursor color from the Windows Registry, then generate a custom .cur file based on my base file where I replace the white color portion with the user's color portion, and then load that into memory.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winuser/nf-winuser-setcursor

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winuser/nf-winuser-loadcursorfromfilew

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63287678/extract-cursor-size-via-winapi-windows-10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dumba$$ control freaks. typical behaviour from monopolisitc companies that know they dont have to put the user first. and then you put it on me to send you a request to "fix" it just so Adobe can ignore the request which they obviously have done since this has been going on since 2018. google adobe competitors for alternatives to all there apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines