• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to copy text from a pdf

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to copy text from a pdf in adobe reader but I cannot select text in the appropriate areas and I am not able to copy the text that I want to.  I am able to do it in other pdf readers and the security allows for copying the text.  Any suggestions on how I can get this fixed so that I can use abobe reader again?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Chrome does not use the Adobe pdf plug-in. It uses it's own viewer so the problem may be in that process. Try with a different browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you try? If the whole page is selected (turns blue), that means it's a scanned image that contains no text to select.

If that's not the case, can you tell us what version of Reader you have, what tool you are using to select the text and what is happening when you try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I double click i can get some areas to turn blue and can copy them.  If I keep clicking it will turn the whole page blue but cannot copy that.  I just can't use the hand tool to select the text that I want and copy it.  The pdf was made by me in the appraisal software.  adobe reader dc 17.009.20044

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS?

Try Edit>Preferences>General>Basic tools and set "Touch Mode" to "Never".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10.  I tried the information you suggested and it didn't seem to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dylanh39446350  wrote

If I double click i can get some areas to turn blue and can copy them.

This is what I'm having a tough time picturing. Can you give us a screen shot?

dylanh39446350  wrote

The pdf was made by me in the appraisal software.  adobe reader dc 17.009.20044

In the end, this could be the issue. It may be producing a file that Adobe has issues with. Could be a font issue or any number of things. Adobe is picky about fully compliant pdf files. But let's see that screen shot first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem I think.  I used to be able to right click and the whole screen would turn blue, copy it, and then put it in a Word document.  Now Adobe Reader does not do that anymore.  How can I fix?  Thanks, Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I use the distiller to print stuff from chrome. it is as if big invisible boxes are on top of each other . when i try to copy/paste text it can't be selected properly and if ou paste it's some chibberrisch (see next to the following image)

i tested it with the edit text tools a few times. random large boxes are on top  of each other.

text-selection-issue.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sidenote. this only happens to me when using pdf to print. not exporting from indesign or save as pdf. maybe some security setting? i can't find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome does not use the Adobe pdf plug-in. It uses it's own viewer so the problem may be in that process. Try with a different browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Graffiti

You hare right. thanks. edge works without a problem. that's a new development tough. It used to work with my old laptop. I just upgraded all 2 weeks ago. I tried another pdf printer but same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

if you print pdf normal in chrome, you can choose "save as pdf" instead of the "adobe pdf" printer or other pdf printers in the print options. That solves my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines