• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF file hangs when opening.

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this problem in an older post, but mine is a bit different.  When opening a .pdf file in Adobe Reader, it hangs for about 2-5 minutes before letting me do anything like enlarging or going to another page. I'm using Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 on a laptop if that's important to know.  I've checked to make sure I have the updated version & it's up to date.

What's causing this? I've tried another PDF reader & it doesn't hang. 

Thanks for any help with this.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Hello shirleym49699223

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, Adobe Reader DC hangs when you open a PDF file, Is that correct?

Please check for any pending updates of Adobe Reader from Help>Check for updates and reboot the machine after the installation of updates.

You can also repair the installation files of Adobe Reader from Help>Repair installation. Reboot the machine after the repair.

Try resetting the preferences of Adobe Reader, refer to How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello shirleym49699223

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, Adobe Reader DC hangs when you open a PDF file, Is that correct?

Please check for any pending updates of Adobe Reader from Help>Check for updates and reboot the machine after the installation of updates.

You can also repair the installation files of Adobe Reader from Help>Repair installation. Reboot the machine after the repair.

Try resetting the preferences of Adobe Reader, refer to How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.

Reboot the machine and see if this brings any difference.

You may also refer to Troubleshoot Windows system errors, freezes | Adobe software

If the issue still persists, please share the following details:

Let us know how it goes and your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who set this as "correct answer", when this clearly does not help and solve the problem??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO NO NO    THIS IS NOT AN ANSWER-  THAT IS AN INSULT BY SOMEONE OVERSEAS COPYING AND PASTING FORM A GUIDE              AND WHY ADOBE SUX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried reinstalling ADOBe and that solves the problem for a little while and then it happens again.  This is a very frustrating problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same issue, and it comes from the list of recently opened documents.

I use a laptop at work, and if the network that I open the documents from is not available, then Adobe Reader hangs for few minutes and then works normally. If you clear the list, Adobe Reader opens up right away.

It seems like Adobe Reader is searching for location of the recently opened files, and it takes a long time for it to give up.

I have Acrobat Pro at the same laptop, and it doesn't have this issue.

Hope, that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@elkhan.alishanov Thank you!  The default was set to 100!  I set it to 5 and problem solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elkhan: you're a genuis!

This post thread is marked as resolved, but none of the official Adobe proposed solutions actually worked. I reeduced the recently viewed list to 3 items. Worked like magic!

Whatever hourly rate Adobe pays its tech support staff, they should send to you! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that fixed it! Thanks for this solution, nothing else worked including reinstalling everything. Completely disabled recent items list and signature verification on opening and saving, no more freezes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow and thanks! 

I've been waiting hours for Vodafone invoice opening. Deleting the history and switching signatures checks off helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the issue for me, too.

Thank you for not giving a useless generic answer like "uPdAtE YoUr SoFtWaRe LOL" or using the repair utility and actually providing a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a god, my goodness this has been plagueing me for months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 here, still an issue - and your answer was the "fix"!

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - And thank you very much to elkhan_alishanov. Your suggestion was the only one that really made sense and IT WORKED. All the other (reinstall, reboot, get updates..etc.) are what tech support says when they have no clue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Adobe is unfortunately not able to fix this issue after 5(!) years and now the use of Acrobat seems impossible (the entire application keeps hanging for several seconds), I have canceled my subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is December 2023. This is an old thread but the problem persists.

Based on solutions I saw elsewhere, this seems to be the best: In Acrobat, go to Profile and Settings > Preferences > Documents > Open Settings > Documents in recently used list. The default value is 100. Change the value to 5, or whatver number suits your situation. I haven't had the 10-20 second hang after first opening since this change.

Prior to this change, I noticed that although the first PDF I opened caused the hang, it did not hang on opening subsequent files, as long as any other PDF was already open. So, the first thing I did each day was to open a random PDF and keep it open all day. The hang was avoided after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Spot on! Thanks, it may be a very old problem but it still seems to apply.  I suspect it has to do with the very slow response when Acrobat Reader is looking across my network to locate old files.  It's another topic, but I find having a home network with different flavours of Windows on it seems to result in very very flaky connection.

FYI in mine the number of documents in the recently used list was already set to; but I have reduced it to one, which seems to have sorted it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines