• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF thumnails disappeared after Adobe Acrobat Reader DC recent update

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, after recent update of Adobe Acrobat Reader Dc Version 2021.001.20135, PDF thumbnails disappreared. When using many pdf documents and could not see thier cover it is very painful to open each file one by one.

I have followed the guidance available online to solve the problem such as, enable General/Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer, Set Adobe Acrobat Reader as a default application and reinstalled nothing working.

I wonder what would be the solution to view thumbnails? or is it possible to install the previous (older) version?

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Thank you.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the trouble caused.

As you are experiencing an issue with the thumbnails, please use the troubleshooting steps suggested in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/thumbnail-preview-does-not-appear-after-updating-reader.html 

Let us know if that resolves the issue.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry correct spell mistake Read "Thumbnail" not Thumnail.

I do not know how to edit my previous post.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nihon!

Thank you for reaching out and sorry about the trouble.

As the thumbnails are not appearing, please try repairing the installation. In the Reader DC, go to Help > Repair Installation and reboot the machine once.

If the issue still occurs, try reinstalling. You may use the cleaner tool (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html#windows) to remove the application and reboot the machine after that. Then re-install the application from this link: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thanks,

Meenakshi 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry to say that your cleaner tool is not uninstalling. It shows it did but when I check the Program files it is there even I can open Adobe files. I have also used subdirectory selection when using cleaner tool but nothing.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for the help.

I have solved the problem. Actually the update was the culprit.

Finally I have found the proper Acrobat Reader DC installer in Japanese and after that everything went to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nihon94,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Could please try after following the below steps:

1. Go to Preferences> General> Check Enable PDF Thumbnail Preview in windows explorer > Click on Ok and then quit the Acrobat Reader.

2. Go to Search> Disc Cleanup>Check on the thumbnail checkbox>Click on Ok.

abhisi_0-1613120506908.png

3. Go to Task manager> Restart Windows Explorer.

abhisi_1-1613120580134.png

4. Make the default PDF handler to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Please let us know if the issue still reproducible at your end.

Thanks,

Abhishek Ranjan Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Abhishek, thank you very much for the detailed reply.

I have already done most of the points you have mentioned even have made Adobe Acrobat as a default PDF but not from the Task Manager from the Windows Applications.

You said:

3. Go to Task manager> Restart Windows Explorer-4. Make the default PDF handler to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
After step 3 what I am suppose to do in the Task Manager to make PDF as a default hanlder?
Please advice.
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nihon94,

Please close the task manager after restarting the Windows explorer.

For the step 4:

Right click on any PDF> select properties> Now select Adobe Acrobat Reader in Opens With> Apply>Ok> Refresh on the homescreen.

abhisi_0-1613125655816.png

Please try with this and let us know if the issue still reproducible at your end.

Thanks,

Abhishek Ranjan Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Abhishek, thank you once again for the help.

I have followed as you said:

1. Enable PDF Thumbnail Preview in windows explorer > Click on Ok and then quit the Acrobat Reader.
2. Disc Cleanup>Check on the thumbnail checkbox>Click on Ok.
3. Make the default PDF handler to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

After following the above steps, on the computer some Thumbnail appeared while on the external drive PDF thumbnails are not showing.

Thank you once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for the help.

Your screen shots were also helpful.

I have solved the problem. Actually the update was the culprit.

Finally I have found the proper Acrobat Reader DC installer in Japanese and after that everything went to normal.

Thank you once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happened to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the trouble caused.

As you are experiencing an issue with the thumbnails, please use the troubleshooting steps suggested in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/thumbnail-preview-does-not-appear-after-updating-reader.html 

Let us know if that resolves the issue.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Please update your Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC. The latest patch release (21.001.20142) has the fix for this problem. To update from within the product, open Acrobat or Acrobat Reader, and go to Help > Check for updates.

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It has happened again with version 21.007.20099. I've gone through most of the suggestions:

1.Edit/Preferences/General/Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer

2. Disk cleanup thumbiail cache

3. regedit/ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PreviewHandlers

Please don't tell me to uninstall the program because that simply leads to a greater problem:

not being able to reinstall because I still have the latest version installed even though I did a power uninstall.

If I can resolve this now, I am going to disable automatic updates and coexist with an outdated version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines