Poor display quality of 3D model in PDF

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We're facing a strange problem with showing 3D models in Acrobat Reader:

- 3D model is generated by Illustrator with ESKO 3D Studio plugin

- PDF opened in Acrobat Reader looks good on most PC's (see screenshots  ... good quality)

- But on one PC (Graphics workstation) the 3D model is shown in poor, pixelated quality (see screenshots ... poor quality)

Things we tried allready:

- Every setting in the PDF preferences as well as on the graphics card.

- Changed to DVI

- Internal graphics card: Intel Graphics 630

- Different monitor

Does anyone have seen the same problem? Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno

PC-Specs:

- Intel i5- 8600K

- NVIDIA GTX 1060

- HDMI connection to monitor

Examples:

Good quality:

Sample detail view good quality.PNG

Sample full view good quality.PNG

Poor quality:

Sample detail view poor quality.PNG

Sample full view poor quality.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

This looks like it is reverting to software rendering. This seems to be a recent issue in Acrobat related to a setting in "Preferences->Security (Enhanced) -> Enable Protected Mode at Startup".

If feels to me that Acrobat does not recognise newer graphics cards or Nvidia drivers correctly and thinks they pose a security risk, so it defaults the 3D rendering to software rendering, which produced the pixelated look you are seeing.

You can test this theory by simply disabling that option, restarting

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like it is reverting to software rendering. This seems to be a recent issue in Acrobat related to a setting in "Preferences->Security (Enhanced) -> Enable Protected Mode at Startup".

If feels to me that Acrobat does not recognise newer graphics cards or Nvidia drivers correctly and thinks they pose a security risk, so it defaults the 3D rendering to software rendering, which produced the pixelated look you are seeing.

You can test this theory by simply disabling that option, restarting Acrobat and viewing your file again. This time it should use Hardware acceleration and will look correct.

I am still looking to find an answer for this issue from Adobe. Either recommended drivers, supported graphics cards or just let it use Hardware acceleration by default. This used to be fine a year ago, its only a recent issue related to the latest updates to Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ARE GREAT !!!

YOu helped me a lot !!!

Thank you very much !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kbar you have saved my life! Over 2 years later this has really helped me out. I'm running i7 8th gen with 32 gb of ram and adobe just would not render a small 12mb file. Tried your tip and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot. Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're a life saver kbar!!!
Thanks a lot!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines