• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Popup won't close

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open Acrobat Reader DC it displays a popup "Work with PDFs while browsing the web".  I cannot close this popup.  Clicking anywhere on the popup (the well-hidden grey X, the continue button, anything) just results in a "you can't click here" beep from my Mac.  This renders the application totally unusable - all menus selections are disabled.  My only recourse is to force quit the application.

I am on the latest MacOS - 11.6, and have uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat Reader so this should be the latest too - of course I can't see what version it is, because all the menus are disabled.

I wouldn't even be trying to use Acrobat, but someone has sent me a PDF portfolio which Preview can't read.

This is annoying.  Any help would much appreciated.  Especially from Adobe in the form of not creating un-dismissable popups.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Thanks for the response Amal.  Interestingly enough, when I opened Acrobat Reader today the popup appeared again, but this time I was able to click on the X and it went away, unlike yesterday.  I appreciate the note on how to stop messages from appearing, and have unchecked that box.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

I went into tasks, Adobe,  end task. Problem fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you are unable to use the application due to the pop up message and you have tried to reinstall the application with no luck.

Please try to press cmd+k to open preference settings and go to General > under, Messages from Adobe Uncheck 'Show me messages when I launch Adobe Acrobat ' and see if that works.

If it dosn't work, please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau... and see if that helps.

you may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Amal.  Interestingly enough, when I opened Acrobat Reader today the popup appeared again, but this time I was able to click on the X and it went away, unlike yesterday.  I appreciate the note on how to stop messages from appearing, and have unchecked that box.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, and I can't quit Adobe or restart my computer because Adobe won't close. Also, cmd+k doesn't do anything for me.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Felicia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that.

Please try to force quit/restart the computer and relaunch the Adobe Acrobat Application and check the version of the application. Go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.1.20085 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also, try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau... and check if that helps. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to restart but the pop-up is still not dismissable. Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing the screenshot of the pop up message that you get? Also,  what are the steps you are doing when you get this pop up message?

We are here for help, just need more information.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. The pop-up is blocking the app, making it entirely unusable. This means I'm going to be delayed on a work project and potentially lose money. It will not allow you to screenshot the app while the pop-up is open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that.

Would you mind taking the picture of the screen with the pop-up message and sharing it with us for a better understanding?

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal, 

I'm having this issue as well. I've attached a screenshot. I cannot click the X in the corner to dismiss the popup, I cannot unclick the "Install Google Chrome extension" check box, and I cannot click "Continue." Clicking anywhere in the program, in or outside of the popup,  just gives me the "blip" sound that occurs when you can't click in the area. Once the pop-up comes up the only option to close it is to force quit the application. When I restart the application, the popup instantly comes back. This renders the program entirely unusable. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice. I've tried using CMD + K, but it does not work while the pop-up is open. I'd love to hear any ideas you have on how to fix this. I really need to be able to sign some documents soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

It is the First Time Experience (FTE) screen which displays help content and tips when the application is started.

You can disable the screen permanently through the registry settings. Assuming you are using a Windows machine, to disable the FTE, set the registry value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown]

"bToggleFTE"=dword:00000001

Open registry through Run command i.e. type regedit in Run and click ok.

1. Navigate to the Registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown.

2. Highlight FeatureLockDown.

3. In the right window, right click in the Blank space and choose New > DWORD (32 bit) Value.

4. Enter the value bToggleFTE

5. Highlight the Registry value i.e. bToggleFTE > Right click and choose Modify.

6. Enter Value Data as 1 and click Ok.

Reboot the computer and launch the Reader.

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

I'm getting the same issue in macOS. I think the above screenshot is also from the macOS environment. Please advise us to resolve this. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

Same here.  I can't get the popup to go away, and I'm on a Mac machine.  Can you please tell me how to get rid of the popup screen?  It even blocks my ability to see other applications, until I force quit Acrobat.  When I reopen the Acrobat Reader, it pops up again and won't go away.  I'll attach a screenshot.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem like all of you here but I solved it!

The issue is that when you open Acrobat Reader for the first time the system asks you if you want to open every PDF in the future with this app. I saw this question window for a second but it was overlayed by the Adobe launch screen that asks you for installing the browser extension. Since the system window needs to be answered first, the Adobe window is not clickable. But the system window lays behind the Adobe window - which makes it unclickable, also (and not even "enter" works, unfortunately).
So what I did: I forcestopped/closed Acrobat Reader and set it as standard app for all PDFs manually. Like this:
Control-click the file, then choose Get Info. In the Info window, click the arrow next to “Open with.” Click the pop-up menu, then choose the app. To open all files of this type with this app, click Change All.

Next time I opened Acrobat Reader the launch screen asking for installing the browser extension was clickable - because it was not blocked by the system window anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I went into tasks, Adobe,  end task. Problem fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines