• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Adobe Acrobat does not allow connection to: <an internal URL>"

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has already been reported (https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/help-with-error-quot-adobe-acrobat-does-no...) but after 9 months since I first reported this it seems to be being ignored, so I am creating a new thread here in the hope that someone at Adobe will see and act on it.

PROBLEM:

In Adobe Acrobat Reader the error message: "Adobe Acrobat does not allow connection to: <URL>" is received when clicking on a hyperlink in a PDF document which points to a server on a local network, despite the correct preferences being applied and all troubleshooting steps followed:

Error message.png

Other PDF readers e.g. Foxit Reader and Nuance PowerPDF do not have this problem - they all allow the hyperlinks to work (some may give a prompt to the user e.g. "Do you want to open this link?", but they all work).

Myself and others have tried all the various troubleshooting suggestions:

• Turning off Protected View (Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Turn off Protected View and untick 'Enhanced security')
  • Whitelisting in the appropriate areas within the preferences e.g. 'allow PDF files to access all web sites' and 'custom setting' with whitelisted URLs etc, and there are no blocked websites listed.
  • Resetting the Acrobat preferences (as per https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...
  • Repaired Adobe Acrobat Reader.
  • Updating to the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

In my case the internal URL is "edrm://id:A1255825", and is to an internal server.
Another person reported their own internal URL " file:///C|/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp/<some wierd html file name>"

In both cases these are just internal URLs. You can reproduce the issue with any valid 'internal server' type URL.

The issue is EASILY reproduced, my example came from a customer of mine and I easily reproduced it.

None of the troubleshooting steps work.

I believe this is a defect in the Adobe Acrobat Reader application.

I have not tested on a later version than "2023.006.20380 (64-bit, continuous update)", which was the latest version at the time I reported the issue. I am not going to try again on a later version as I have already spent way too much time attempting to convince Adobe (via https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/help-with-error-quot-adobe-acrobat-does-no...) that there IS an issue here.

Hoping someone will look at it, as myself and others have gotten nowhere via the aforementioned link.

Thank you.

TOPICS
View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2024 Sep 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, but it's happening with a normal website URL. Anything with the root www.parl.ca, which is the website of Canada's Parliament. My Reader app is up to date. I haven't fiddled with its settings because my goal isn't that I be able to open the link, but rather that readers of my publication will be able to open it. Most of whom will likely view it in Reader, with whatever the app's default settings are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2024 Sep 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'll probably find that for your URL, users will need to turn off Protected View (Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Turn off Protected View and untick 'Enhanced security'). That's just something Adobe Reader has these days.

Note to Adobe: this is not the solution to my reported problem, you still have a defect in the Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines