• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Enable pdf thumbnail preview in windows explorer" is missing even though the program is fully updated

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Reader Version 11.0.23, in Windows 10 in a 64 bit environment, and my PDF thumbnail previews are not appearing. I went to the p

When I go to https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/using/enable-pdf-thumbnail-preview-windows-explorer.html it clearly says that updating to the latest version fixes the issue, however according to Adobe - Adobe Reader : For Windows, lists 23 as the latest version.  Also, when I go to preferences, under general /  basic tools, the page says the option should be listed like this:

64-bit-thumbnail-preview.png

When I look at my settings, I don't even see those options (see screenshot below taken from my adobe reader's preferences):

2018-06-15 09_43_26-Adobe Acrobat Pro.png

Updating to Adobe Reader DC is not an option at this time in my current enterprise environment.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

This option is not available in Adobe Reader XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that looks like the preferences panel for acrobat, not reader.

how is adobe reader related to your question, or did you simply confuse the free adobe reader with acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's from Adobe reader

reader.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option is not available in Adobe Reader XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acrobat XI Pro, and I have the same issue.

Is it the same answer for my version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the option is not available in this old version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't it rather curious that such a globally known company with all the resources at their disposal, doesn't have a fix, patch, or update for such a simple issue? Not even for paying customers? Alas, the live chat support fellows didn't even know about it...hmmm...

An issue that happens with Win 10, because in Win 7 there was no issue. So, maybe if Adobe asks nicely, they would probably get a little help from Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat XI is old and unsupported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, no, no...the issue has been brought up for years in the pdf managers, and the only solution in the Community was to also install Reader DC. That indicates Reader DC fixed the issue, so, Adobe can provide a fix from that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't fix unsupported software.

You can install Acrobat Reader DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right; typical overlord response. That's a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pfft..

This is what you do (I'm currently running 11.0.32 on Windows 8)

• Open Acrobat Reader, Click Open, Select My Computer
  • Click the blue Browse button and navigate to the folder with your PDF files
  • Click "Extra Large Icons" where you can find it (it's an icon that expands to Large Icons, Medium Icons, Small Icons, Details, List) - it's the thing that changes what you see in Explorer > View
  • Wait for Acrobat reader to generate the thumbnails for each PDF file, scroll down to allow it to continue (I use the mouse wheel)
  • Now if you go back to Windows Explorer and select any of the Large, Extra Large, etc. Icons you'll see the thumbnails

I don't know why this works but it does for me; I hope it works for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make mine 11.0.23, same as your version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines