Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RdrCEF high cpu usage

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning.
First of all, sorry for my low level of English.

A few days ago I installed Adobe Reader DC on all servers in my farm Citrix XenDesktop 7.6. Everything started well but now I have problems with high CPU usage. I have seen that for each user using Reader DC open between 1 and 3 processes with the same name, RdrCEF.exe. This process consumes a lot of memory and sometimes, depending on the PDF file, use much of the CPU causing performance problems in other user sessions on the server .

What is this process RdrCEF? Why it is opened several times per user ? And most importantly, how I can prevent this process use as much CPU?

I hope someone can help me.
Thank you.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 13, 2016 Oct 13, 2016

Hello Everyone,

We have fixed such issues with our latest update. I would request you all to update Adobe software via Help -> Check for updates...

Please let us know if you face this or any issue after update.

-Thanks

Sunil Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Reader DC 2021.00.7.20091 32bit version was causing trouble for us on our 2016 RDS farm srevers. I tried running updates, repairs and reinstalling but no luck. Upgrading to the 64bit version has seemed to do the trick for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jairop52591993,

Let me know the exact dot version of Reader installed?

Also, let me know how many RdrCEF processes do you see in the task  manager?

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi aadeshs76610910‌,

I have Adobe Reader DC version 2015.009.20079.

I have a citrix farm where each server typically runs 15-20 user sessions.In the task manager of each server there are two or three processes RdrCEF.exe for each user session.

Thanks for the reply.

Jairo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have exactly the same version of Reader DC than Jairo (ie. 2015.009.20079), but I am in Win7.

Same symptoms.

In my case, I can find up to 20 or 25 RdrCEF processes in task manager.

And in more, when I close the Reader window, I systematically get an error pop up window from Windows, stating that Reader DC crashed.

And most of the times, all RdrCEF processes are closing except one or two I have to close manually in task manager.

Thanks in advance for your help

Laurent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allo Adobe staff !

Any news on this issue  ?

This is a very important topic, and urgent since this problem maked Reader DC almost unusable

I'd like to have a solution, and not to be obliged to remove Reader DC and install an alternative soft, or maybe Reader X or XI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laurent,

We are investigating this issue. Are you still facing it? If yes, we would like to have some more information from you.

1. Are you opening multiple PDFs in Reader when you observe this issue?

2. Can you post a screenshot of task manager when you see multiple RdrCEF processes?

3. Can you also share the crashdump when Reader crashes -

You can use the following steps to enable saving user mode memory dumps locally using Windows Error Reporting, by creating the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps

Value Name = DumpType

Data type: REG_DWORD

Value Data = 1

Dump files are stored in the default location %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps. Send it to us at ambooATadobeDOTcom.

More details are present here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/931673

Thanks,

-Amboo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jairop52591993,

We are looking into the high CPU usage issue you are facing on citrix. Can you please provide some more information:

On Citrix, there are multiple users and Reader launches a new RdrCEF process for each user. Do you see high memory being consumed on the server side? Could you please send us more details of the issue you are experiencing. A screenshot depicting the high memory usage would also be helpful.

Thanks,

-Amboo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning AmbooS‌.

We have written a document with screenshots to provide all information about the problem.

Where can we send you the document?

We look forward.

Thank you for your attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Please send at ambooATadobeDOTcom. If it is  zip file, please rename it to .adobe from .zip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2016 Jan 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please also send the process dump of the RdrCEF process consuming high CPU? Right click on RdrCEF process in task manager and select 'Create dump file' option. Please share this dumpfile.

Thanks,

-Amboo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning AmbooS

I have sent you a .zip file (renamed from .zip to .adobe ) that contains the dump file and the document with screenshots of the problem.

I had to use wetransfer because the file exceeded the limit of our mail server.

We look forward.

Thank you for your attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I got your email. We'll take a look at the dump and screenshots your have shared with us.

-Amboo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any updates on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

High CPU usage because of this same file on a brand new computer, between 64%-100%, mostly hangs at 100%, always. I love my Adobe Reader, but this is a huge problem for my company's performance as well as my own.  What about the old version before it became DC?

Thank you for any help, and forgive me for my lack of computer savvy.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

This issue seems to be back again for another round. 
We had a spike of around 30-40% because of this problem.
After killing the adobe processes the CPU was restored to a more normal results.

Is there an updates coming out resolving this issue permanently?

Regards, Gideon Badenhorst

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, this is happening again to all our RDP servers.

In our case, Server 2019 servers where every user who open a PDF triggers a RdrCEF.exe process that consumes a lot of CPU and 3Gb of RAM each. This leads to disconnections of the users, and even server hangs...

Adobe, you should solve this ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to know if there was an update to this?  I am in charge of keeping reader up to date in our multiple Citrix environments and I am seeing this process consume resources just on my local machine.  I do not want our user capacity to go down due to Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Would you please try the following:

- Restart the machine, and confirm if you're still seeing the crash problem?

- If yes, can you enable Windows WER crash reporting feature on one of the machines in which the problem occurs and share the crash dump file via. some file sharing service with us.  You may use Google drive or Adobe Send https://cloud.acrobat.com/send

Steps to enable crash dump creation: Collecting User-Mode Dumps (Windows)

If you need any help in creating dumps, please let us know.

Regards,

Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I do have the same problem on citrix. Also for Adobe Acrobat pro which process name is AcroCEF.exe. We do have Adobe Team subcription and installed the 2015 version MUI.  Reader DC MUI version 15.006.30174 and for Acrobat Pro also 15.006.30174, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Win10. It makes reader almost impossible to use.

I have a fix though:

Close Adobe Reader

Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroCEF

Click on "RdrCEF.exe"

Select rename, and change "RdrCEF.exe" to "RdrCEF.txt"

Adobe Reader will still run, and as far as I can tell doesn't loose functionality, but the background process "RdrCEF.exe" will not start and so cannot consume all your CPU time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had any functional issues since doing this?  I have also done this for a few of my roll outs and I have had some reports of weird functional issues, but I am not sure if this is what has caused them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had time to test it properly, so far it works for viewing any PDF's I've opened. Haven't tried printing yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's work... but it's not too good solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, renaming RdrCEF isn't the solution of the issue. RdrCEF is meant to be run along with AcroRD32 i.e. Reader.

RdrCEF is the process which takes care of HTML views(Home view, Custom File open/save as dialog, sent and track app, and may more) in reader. Renaming RdrCEF would cause you loss of functionality.

Please let us know if you are still facing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. Out of nothing, suddenly, when opening a PDF file, my mouse pointer changes and adds the blue circle (indicating on Win10 that some program is busy). When I check with the taks manager, it is indeed RdrCEF.exe which is causing this insane load. It simply doesn't go away, even if you leave it to it. Restarted Adobe Reader, restarted my pc, ... all the same.

Shame on you, Adobe that you leave this problem for almost a year now! (Although apparently, it seems not to affect all people all the time. It is just since yesterday that I noticed the problem for instance.)

Oh, my version: 2015.017.20053

David.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines